Comfort is your biggest issue won't know what gun you need until you know what feels best in your hand you want to be able to grip it well. Personally I hate glocks because they have no personality but them bishes are just durable and dependable. A glock is like an AK simple and ugly but will get the job done no matter what the situation. My favorite guns have always been sigs and I love the 1911 just cant afford one the way I want it. Your best bet would be to just go to the firing range and shoot a few different guns and see what you like the best.

2013 Dodge Charger

Build Log

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0
Build Log

2005 Honda Civic LX Coupe

Build Log

SMD SUPER SELLER!!!!
My Selling Feedback

Dresig1_zps7acbddbb.gif

Dresig2_zpscfb11527.gif

... and I love the 1911 just cant afford one the way I want it....

You could just buy one of the lower priced 1911s, like Rock Island armory, Springfield GI model, or the like, and the as you get to know what you want from it, mod it. Alot of simple things like extended thumbsafeties and beaver tail grip safeties are fairly easy to fit to the gun yourself, and just about every big city has a 1911 'smith or 2 for installing things like sights etc...thats how I did my first 1911, started out with a plain jane GI model rock island for 4 bills, and when I waqs done with it, it was every bit as laid out as the nicest Kimber or springfield you can buy. And all said and done, I had less into it then a comparable kimber. :shrug:

1999 Lincoln Town Car-(build underway)

- (2) SA15s, 4th order, DAT 2500.1, O2 mids n highs, 250a alt, HC 2400, Big 3....

1994 Pontiac T/A for speeding tickets.-

- Currently on jack stands, wanting to be a real race car

"Your local forecast, all the ladies in the metro area should expect to see 8 inches tonight" - The Todd

Decaf, on 01 November 2011 - 02:38 PM, said:

i provide the ammo for destruction, the trigger finger is connected to the volume knob tho

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO

... and I love the 1911 just cant afford one the way I want it....

You could just buy one of the lower priced 1911s, like Rock Island armory, Springfield GI model, or the like, and the as you get to know what you want from it, mod it. Alot of simple things like extended thumbsafeties and beaver tail grip safeties are fairly easy to fit to the gun yourself, and just about every big city has a 1911 'smith or 2 for installing things like sights etc...thats how I did my first 1911, started out with a plain jane GI model rock island for 4 bills, and when I waqs done with it, it was every bit as laid out as the nicest Kimber or springfield you can buy. And all said and done, I had less into it then a comparable kimber. :shrug:

You know I never thought about that but that's actually a really good friggin idea :good: . Right now all I have is a Glock, I need to look into getting a 1911 thanks for dropping some knowledge six.

2013 Dodge Charger

Build Log

Build Log

Build Log

SMD SUPER SELLER!!!!
My Selling Feedback

Dresig1_zps7acbddbb.gif

Dresig2_zpscfb11527.gif

^^Thats what this place is for man....No problem. And if you have any questions regarding 1911s and what not..feel free to send me a PM... I'm no master gunsmith...but I sure do know an awful lot about 1911s. Its my gun of choice. And for the money, you cant go wrong with a rock island if you want a cheaper 1911, made in phillipines, on tooling that made the original colts no less. They are cast frames, forged slides, have pretty good tolerances, and shoot amazingly well for what they cost.

- (2) SA15s, 4th order, DAT 2500.1, O2 mids n highs, 250a alt, HC 2400, Big 3....

"Your local forecast, all the ladies in the metro area should expect to see 8 inches tonight" - The Todd

i provide the ammo for destruction, the trigger finger is connected to the volume knob tho

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO

Wow i never would have thought this thread would get to 2 pages so fast lol.

ATM I'm not planning on carrying one especially since all the places i go are basically school and work lol.

Got some good advice thanks guys.

I know that..sorry for getting so OT....but if you are purely looking for a home defense gun, and have limited time/experience with pistol shooting/operations... buy a revolver or better yet, buy a 12 ga shotgun. Hr makes a great remington 870 clone that is available through dicks for less than 200 new. A 12ga is hands down the best home defense weapon someone can own. Especially is that someone doesnt own other guns or isnt a shooter...its a whole hell of a lot easier to hit something in the dark with 00buck than with a single bullet. Not to mention a typical round of 00 buck has 9 pellets in it, each one is about the same size as a 380 bullet...and most likely at home defense ranges, all 9 pieces of shot are going into your target...so lets think about that...1 shot with home defense 00 buck= getting shoot 9 times with a handgun, where as getting shot once with a handgun= getting shot once with a handgun. Not to mention the manual of arms is much much less complicated with a shotgun, especially if you were to buy a side x side style... put in 2 shells, close breech, shoot, repeat. bout as simple as it can get. I would definitely not recomend a pistol as your only go to gun, or as your first ever gun, especially if for home defense.

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO

Wow i never would have thought this thread would get to 2 pages so fast lol.

ATM I'm not planning on carrying one especially since all the places i go are basically school and work lol.

Got some good advice thanks guys.

I know that..sorry for getting so OT....but if you are purely looking for a home defense gun, and have limited time/experience with pistol shooting/operations... buy a revolver or better yet, buy a 12 ga shotgun. Hr makes a great remington 870 clone that is available through dicks for less than 200 new. A 12ga is hands down the best home defense weapon someone can own. Especially is that someone doesnt own other guns or isnt a shooter...its a whole hell of a lot easier to hit something in the dark with 00buck than with a single bullet. Not to mention a typical round of 00 buck has 9 pellets in it, each one is about the same size as a 380 bullet...and most likely at home defense ranges, all 9 pieces of shot are going into your target...so lets think about that...1 shot with home defense 00 buck= getting shoot 9 times with a handgun, where as getting shot once with a handgun= getting shot once with a handgun. Not to mention the manual of arms is much much less complicated with a shotgun, especially if you were to buy a side x side style... put in 2 shells, close breech, shoot, repeat. bout as simple as it can get. I would definitely not recomend a pistol as your only go to gun, or as your first ever gun, especially if for home defense.

Have to +2 it if this is only for home defense.

2013 Dodge Charger

Build Log

Build Log

Build Log

SMD SUPER SELLER!!!!
My Selling Feedback

Dresig1_zps7acbddbb.gif

Dresig2_zpscfb11527.gif

I don't mind people going off topic since it lead to more info. I'd really have to convince my girlfriend for me to get a shotgun since she is afraid of all guns but doesnt mind the pistol lol

Best bet..dont ask her, politely tell her what you are going to buy. Go buy it,andthen take her shooting and teach her to use is properly. Mostpeople that are afraid of guns are afraid of them because of a lack of knowledge,not because of a bad experience, so typically if you can educate someone on the safe useage of a firearm, they will be much more apt to being "cool" with it.

To the OP, if you would like my opinions on what makes a good home defense shotgun, shoot me a message and Ill gladly give you my recomendations and what to stay away from. Again I am no "expert"...but, much the way some of you are with your knowledge of systems, is how I am about guns, and have been for a long time. I carry alot, Ive been shot at, Ive shot at others, and I am somewhat getting into some shooting sports... (theres a gun club around here that hosts a wicked, tactical style shotgun shoot every year, went and watched last year to see what it was about, Ill be shooting in it, and kickin ass n taking names this year....5k shells is a hell of alot of practicing..lol)

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO