Sonic Electronix

alrighty guys so im new here and really new to car audio in general. so my car is a 1987 mustang gt. (hatchback)

now what im wanting to install is 1 very good subwoofer( a 12 inch)... something that would crush 2 cheap 12's...

now im really wanting sq so i was thinking of going with a jl 12w6 in a jl box http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_20984_JL-Audio-CVS112RG-W6v2.html

now according to the dimensions it should fit very well in my trunk... i plan on doing some modifications back there so it only takes up like 8 inches( depth wise).

now i hear everyone say JL is way overpriced but i really dont mind paying for quality... now that being said, i looked into some other brands such as diamond audio, RE audio, massive audio ect.

out of those im leaning towards a RE audio Sxx 12. now problem is ive no idea where to get a legit enclosure for this thing...i dont have a whole lot of options as far as audio shops where i live.

okay now what i want is SQ (which is why im leaning JL w6. but idk if that sub has the spl to shake cars next to me and just basically not get showed up... i understand theres always gonna be someone better than you out there blah blah blah but i dont want hella people just Sh!tting on my system (spl wise)

ugh im sorry i know im like all over the place lol.. um basically my question summerized is, would you put a JL( in the box shown above) or an RE audio SXX 12 ( with the smallest box without sacrificing too much sq/spl) in a car like mine

thanks in advance and sorry for the rant like post lol

Edited by dgarcia302

Sundown Audio. look them up bro

468x60drc.jpg

If paying for quality isnt a problem look into the old style RE audio xxx very nice for sq and high xmax, will def suit your needs. You can find one if you look around, yes jl makes quality stuff but for the price of their quality there are better choices. My .02 as far as boxes go there are a few people on here who will design you something you can build that will get the job done. Ray, 412cvx, ram designs etc.

Everythings in the attic or garage since the truck was sold last year. New build should be coming soon in a dodge cummins smile.gif

alrighty guys so im new here and really new to car audio in general. so my car is a 1987 mustang gt. (hatchback)

now what im wanting to install is 1 very good subwoofer( a 12 inch)... something that would crush 2 cheap 12's...

now im really wanting sq so i was thinking of going with a jl 12w6 in a jl box http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_20984_JL-Audio-CVS112RG-W6v2.html

now according to the dimensions it should fit very well in my trunk... i plan on doing some modifications back there so it only takes up like 8 inches( depth wise).

now i hear everyone say JL is way overpriced but i really dont mind paying for quality... now that being said, i looked into some other brands such as diamond audio, RE audio, massive audio ect.

out of those im leaning towards a RE audio Sxx 12. now problem is ive no idea where to get a legit enclosure for this thing...i dont have a whole lot of options as far as audio shops where i live.

okay now what i want is SQ (which is why im leaning JL w6. but idk if that sub has the spl to shake cars next to me and just basically not get showed up... i understand theres always gonna be someone better than you out there blah blah blah but i dont want hella people just Sh!tting on my system (spl wise)

ugh im sorry i know im like all over the place lol.. um basically my question summerized is, would you put a JL( in the box shown above) or an RE audio SXX 12 ( with the smallest box without sacrificing too much sq/spl) in a car like mine

thanks in advance and sorry for the rant like post lol

JL does make quality shit, no doubt. But there's certainly the same quality and better out there for less money. I'm not going to start a brand war, just search some more. SPL wise? Do you get metered often or something?

'11 Jeep Patriot New Build

Head Unit: Pioneer AVH-P3200DVD

Front: Massive CK69 Components

Front Amp: Massive NX2

Rears: Infinity Kappa's

Subs: 8 Sundown SA-8 v2's

Sub Amp: AB 450.1

XS D3100

Come on 150!

If you are gonna buy a prefab box and you are wanting just a 12 look into skar audio. They are selling sub and box and all you do is tell them the dimensions. And for what you are willing to spend on the W6. In my opinion that would be the route to go. And if you are set on REsxx then I would just tell you to get the SX series and not the sxx. Or even the XXX for sq and spl. But there are so many choices out there. Just do research. And buy what you like. But for what you are gonna pay for JL that is your choice. If you are looking for a shock factor I would buy 2 sundown 8's.

SONY XAV-701HD
RF power 400.4 RF power 1000bd

3 Sundown x8's d2
2004 f150 single cab
2 sets of components MB quart 6.5 onx (2 tweets 2 6.5 perdoor)
stock batt up fron
BIG 3

http://www.stevemead...-vid-pg-11-922/

http://www.youtube.c.../TheBigmescan74

dont throw out SQ and SPL like you know what they mean. unless you've spent thousands of dollars on hertz or rainbow or some other high end brand, and have spent countless hours tuning your active processors, you have absolutely no idea what SQ is.

likewise with SPL. if you havent spent thousands of dollars on woofers and wood and amplifiers and countless hours of trial and error on your box and positing it to be as loud as possible, you dont know what SPL is.

give us a budget for how much you want to spend on woofers and how much power you plan on throwing to it (amplifier model would help here)

I've owned JL. they're alright, but the whole idea that they are the "best sq subwoofer" is pretty much BS. to me it just sounded like bass, there was no real "wow these sound amazing!"

It's really up to the installer to make a product shine.

The box is really what will make or break a subwoofer. i learned this firsthand with that install. i had the JL's in a prefab box for a while and eventually decided i needed to upgrade. i built a couple of custom ported boxes (one for each) tuned to 35 hz the two boxes were on opposite sides of my trunk with the subs firing toward each other.

the difference was night and day. it sounded soo much louder and so much better. i found myself turning it down because it was giving me a headache.

the box makes A WORLD of difference.

-----back on topic

if you are willing to pay for the w6 and you want sound quality, i've heard that the FI Q is supposedly the W7 killer. i'm planning on getting a couple of those 10's for my rebuild this summer.

Money is precious, my friend, so it's important to get the most bang for your buck.

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

Everyone thank you very much for the input, greatly appreciated..now to try and answer everyone lol

DRCinc and bigmescan- definitely gonna look into sundown audio. 2 8's? Something i will now consider :)How do you guys think they'd do against a 12 in Loundness and clearness ( since I'm not allowed to throw out sq and spl lol)

Loudnlow87- no.. No meters ( I assume your talking about a db meter) just you know need something that won't get owned by like 3 out of 4 systems out there. Hope it makes sense

Kranny- I wanna say $800 for amp box and a 12 pushing in the neighborhood of 800w rms.. (Won't say no to more watts)And as for the budget I'm not rushing this system so like I'm gonna by things one by one.. So if I gotta fork out more than I planned for something recommend it's fine I'll wait n save

I've heard those 04/05 RE's were great... Looking into them too..

412 cvx - yea man I want to me make sure I do my homework so I get it right the first time and not waste $ cause I just got whatever looked cool

I have to say, of all the newb topics I have seen, this one has gotten the least negativity that most do. dgarcia, take the advice given to you in here man, best I've seen in a while without instant flame fests. Along with that, I can agree with pretty much everything everyone is saying in here. Not from experience but by research. As for boxes with what cvx said, that is true. I had 2 JBL 10's in a prefab box, built one for them, and HOLY SHIT my car gets crazy flex for 70 watts.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm