Second Skin Audio

Underpowing a sub

Dont clip it you will be fine... Dont try to push it to its limits cause you will probably clip it

Clipping is when your amplifier trys to produce more than its suppose to causing the volts to drop and amps to rise... Which will heat the amp and maybe blow..... Also it starts sending DC voltage instead of AC voltage when clipping

Edited by Winn

You know how you avoid that? Man the fuck up and bang her best friend sister mom cousin worst enemy and never look back.

JUST SAY ANTI-AUDIOPIPE

Right, thanks guys. Just to clarify if I have an amp that will cleanly push 1000w, it wouldn't do harm to the subwoofer to push 200w out of that amp to the sub. Correct?

Check out my build log:

http://www.stevemead...60#entry1958353

Different folks have different strokes.

Not at all! What do you think happens when you turn the volume down on your head unit? ;)

The reason the "underpowering a sub blows it" myth exists is because when underpowering a sub a lot of people crank the gain all the way up or way past where it should be because they think their sub can handle moar powa!!!! But as we all know the gain knob isn't the volume knob. Set the gains right and there is no problem

so far...

HU- pioneer DEH-P59001B

Amp- crescendo BC2000D

Wire- 1/0 awg welding lead

Electric- Big 3 ^same wire

Subs- 2 Obsidian Audio 12 d4's

Box 4ft^3 ported at 33hz. designed by Ram-Designs

Not at all! What do you think happens when you turn the volume down on your head unit? ;)

The reason the "underpowering a sub blows it" myth exists is because when underpowering a sub a lot of people crank the gain all the way up or way past where it should be because they think their sub can handle moar powa!!!! But as we all know the gain knob isn't the volume knob. Set the gains right and there is no problem

Lol, alright man thanks much appreciated. I was guilty of that ^ haha not setting the gains correctly. Gotta get me a DD-1 here veryyyy soon. So people put the gain up alot more, so they can get more bass at a lower volume, but being that the gain is cranked most likely more than 3/4ths it causes clipping at a lower volume correct?

Check out my build log:

Saw this on the forums Clipping

A signal that results from an amplifier that is either overloaded or underpowered relative to the signal Amplitude it being asked to generate. This confuses me a little, disregaurd the message i posted above as it will mostly be repeated just going to try to sum it up, so basicly if the amp gain is set to low it can cause clipping as well if it's to high. It has to be juuuust right. If that's correct then i also have another question. Sorry for the 20 question game, was just really curious on this subject, trying to read up on it so there isn't to many :) thanks :drink40:

Check out my build log:

The amp is underpowered, not the sub. You misread what was posted. It takes power to make power, and if you expect an amplifier to make 4,000 watts without sufficient power, it will try to anyways resulting in clipped signals.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?