so im just really trying to get a few opinions on this, killablue already gave me an idea aswell as his friend, i just wanna be able to walk into a shop and say, this is whats wrong fix it. Now i went to pepboys when i was up at school thinking my brakes needed to be done, so i go and they say that its not the brakes it the rear diff.

he had it up on the lift, hit the gas and you could hear a sound coming from the rear diff area, i cant really discribe it it words, but kind of a sputtering, type deal. anyway told them to fuck off cuz they wanted to charge me a grand and some change to fix it, so i said ill deal

now, the sound is louder when im decelerating or coming to a stop, its loudest at low speeds while decelerating, you can still hear it faintly when im on the gas, then again thats from the inside of the car

went down to MD to go to crazy rays (big ass junkyard(s)) so i could just get a new rear axle and be done with it yaknow?

so that dident work out cuz it started to snow/freezing rain,but we popped open the rear diff and no teeth were missing no intense metal shavings on the magnet, just normal stuff ya know?..... so we go back up to jersey get done with school and such

now i go BACK down to MD for the TDH show, i know im pushing my luck driving and what not with it but oh well, anyway, i come back to jersey to drop my friend off about 45mins away from my house, and i was just idleing while in drive down a street(no foot on the gas nothing) and i hear a grinding noise, thats when i was like fuck i need to get this fixed

sorry for such the long post but id like some professional/experanced input on this if possible, if you have ANY idea just post please, thanks

Legal TL scores145.6 on the dash sealed up in the low 40hz area with the port out145.5 on the dash sealed up @30hz with the port inless then 1k clamped on a 3.5k!

Why would you EVER WANT flex?
huh?...flex is what can make the lows lower and more air being pushed correct?
jeff_zps9bc81ace.jpg

me_zps0fb5a5b4.jpgMy FeedbackJeep-BuildlogPT LOSER buildlog

Do you know what rear end you have?

It could be bearings if you've inspected the gears and they look ok. You would have to look up the specifics on this but I've seen where people mark gears with paint and then spin them to see how they're seating and using that info to determine what could be wrong and what side is causing the issue. Only problem after going through all of that is they're not fun to work on and rebuild. So definitely don't rule out a rear end swap if you can get a nice rear end for a reasonable price.

I'm no pro, just had some experience with a similar issue I had in my old dodge ramcharger. I'm going to guess its fairly quiet while under load going up a hill, but it becomes apparent when its decelerating.

Edited by BassJunkie

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not

you havent lived until you've hit a screw with a router.

Is it howling?

in a sense yes

its a dana 35

Legal TL scores145.6 on the dash sealed up in the low 40hz area with the port out145.5 on the dash sealed up @30hz with the port inless then 1k clamped on a 3.5k!

jeff_zps9bc81ace.jpg

Same dana as mine. When mine was making similar noises we looked in the rear end and it looked ok but it looked like it may have needed bearings shimmed up so rather than go through all that I ended up just swapping to a dana 60 in the rear. Just as much work if not more work but I had the piece of mind nothing would happen again no matter what load I had with a dana 60 in the rear

Edited by BassJunkie

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not

you havent lived until you've hit a screw with a router.

the thing is, im about 3 hours away from the nearest yard thatll even have a new axle, and no truck -.-, couldent possibly be extreamly expensive just replacing the bearings in my mind, but then again the whole axle could be shot since ive been driving with this shit so long, like 3 months now

jeff_zps9bc81ace.jpg

did you put oil back into it after opening it up?

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Sounds like either the inner or outer bearing is shot and no real way to know which one till you get it off the ground and spin them, outer shouldn't be too bad but your inners can be a pain to change and you'll need to preload them again after installing them.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

worse comes to worse ill just have it done or i could have my girlfriends father help me do it, id prefer to just get a new axle seeing as its only like 70$ to get it, just gotta pull it my self

jeff_zps9bc81ace.jpg