Headunit or wiring problem?

My friend lets me borrow his subs when he needs trunk space so I've had his setup a few times in my car. We put them in my car last night and there is something totally wrong that I can't figure out. With my headunit and gain setting at where I always keep it the subs are only doing about 10% of what they should be. With amp gain, subwoofer level on headunit, and volume maxed they do about 30%.. We've triple checked all the wiring to the amp, changed amp settings, went through my headunit to make sure everything is fine, and I replaced the RCA cables which did not improve anything. However, he has a rca adapter thing that connects to his phone directly to any amp and you can play music off your phone to the subs, while doing this it maybe was doing about half of what it should (he said it doesn't play too loud off the phone but it was a decent increase from running them off my headunit). Another thing I noticed is when no music is playing and I turn the bass knob up or down, it feeds a weird noise to the subs, kind of like a deep scratching or really fast thumps. It's faintly noticeable but I know that is not supposed to happen. Anyone have any ideas? :help:

someone please correct me if i'm wrong, but don't bass knobs induce clipping to the amp?

what HU are you using? and what amp?

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

whats the voltage at the amp? how are the subs wired they might be out of phase. also check your ground and make sure its tight

Do not know the voltage ATM but I have a practically brand new battery. I do not know how the subs are wired inside the box but they were working fine in his car. And my ground is attached to a bolt that goes through the trunk floor, it aint going anywhere.

someone please correct me if i'm wrong, but don't bass knobs induce clipping to the amp?

what HU are you using? and what amp?

I have a Sony CDX-GT74OUI headunit and the amp is a DC 1.2k.. Also, I removed the bass knob to test it and it didn't change how loud it got.

sony quality!! i'm really tempted to say the head unit is bad, especially since it'a a sony...

but i'm not sure.

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

sony quality!! i'm really tempted to say the head unit is bad, especially since it'a a sony...

but i'm not sure.

Yea I checked my battery and it said 14.4v this morning so I know its getting enough power. I saw that my ground wire had melted into some kind of adhesive or some other matieral that is partially lining my trunk, the wire was only damaged about a 16th of an inch deep and about 6 inches long, idk if that could cause any problems but I'm running out of ideas. My friend believes it is my headunit as well, nothing has happened to it physically so I can't see why it'd be broke. Nothing seems wrong with it and everything works fine. If sony makes cheap quality headunits then I guess I'll look into replacing it soon. Another thing I noticed today was that when I change the High Pass Filter hertz up or down it makes a noise through the subs as if it is directly affecting them, would that point to a fucked up headunit high-jacking my settings or what?

but i'm not sure.

Yea I checked my battery and it said 14.4v this morning so I know its getting enough power. I saw that my ground wire had melted into some kind of adhesive or some other matieral that is partially lining my trunk, the wire was only damaged about a 16th of an inch deep and about 6 inches long, idk if that could cause any problems but I'm running out of ideas. My friend believes it is my headunit as well, nothing has happened to it physically so I can't see why it'd be broke. Nothing seems wrong with it and everything works fine. If sony makes cheap quality headunits then I guess I'll look into replacing it soon. Another thing I noticed today was that when I change the High Pass Filter hertz up or down it makes a noise through the subs as if it is directly affecting them, would that point to a fucked up headunit high-jacking my settings or what?

check the voltage @ the amp connections rather than the battery. high pass filters in some headunits affect everything connected to it rather than just the one thing your want it to effect the noise might just be a higher bass tone coming through the subs the only other thing is it might be out of phase positive to neg maybe instead of + to +? also replace that earth wire and grind or sand down what its connected to (the earth you have now doesnt sound to good)

Archived