Second Skin Audio

Box building question

Tried to figure out how to word this in the title, but it's sorta hard to explain. When building a box, does it matter which side goes "inside" of the others? I will be having the left and right sides fit inside of the top/bottom and front/back sides of the box, but does it matter if the top/bottom sides go inside of the front/back, or if the front/back go inside of the top/bottom?

I'm wanting to seal it off from the trunk, but it's 14.5 inches tall whereas my trunk is ~17 tall. I was planning on doing the top/bottom sides inside of the front/back so that for the front one I'd be able to have it be 17ish tall so that I wouldn't need as much foam to seal it from the trunk. Any help is appreciated, I just want to have this figured out before I get to Home Depot later :pardon:

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

I'll be using 0.75 inch MDF as well as screws + caulk. This box is for 2 12 inch Kicker Comps for now, but I'll be upgrading to bigger and badder 12s in the future which is why I'd like to make the perfect box for now, and then just change out subs/amp later

Yes, putting the sides on top of the bottom plate and then the top over the sides ( stacking) will make a difference in strength. Glue and or screws have a stronger sheer strength force then pullout force strength. Same will go for your front and back. Stack everything between the top and bottom plates. whenever possible, use wood glue. It is far stronger then screws alone

Edited by kingsuv

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Yes, putting the sides on top of the bottom plate and then the top over the sides ( stacking) will make a difference in strength. Glue and or screws have a stronger sheer strength force then pullout force strength. Same will go for your front and back. Stack everything between the top and bottom plates. whenever possible, use wood glue. It is far stronger then screws alone

Thanks a lot, was looking for a definitive answer like this! :drinks:

And if you lay it out right on the sheet, everything between the top and bottom gets cut at the same time. You never have to move the rip fence so you'll get the same exact cut every time.

'11 Jeep Patriot New Build

Head Unit: Pioneer AVH-P3200DVD

Front: Massive CK69 Components

Front Amp: Massive NX2

Rears: Infinity Kappa's

Subs: 8 Sundown SA-8 v2's

Sub Amp: AB 450.1

XS D3100

Come on 150!

And if you lay it out right on the sheet, everything between the top and bottom gets cut at the same time. You never have to move the rip fence so you'll get the same exact cut every time.

^^^^^

This!

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Sweet, but one more quick question. What type of foam will I be looking for to seal the trunk from the rest of the car (will be doing subs & port facing forward with back seats folded down) and does anybody know if Home Depot sells it or where I'd find it?

Thanks for confirming that. I only build my boxes like that cause I was thoroughly impressed with the build quality of the boxes built by Mike at Ami Creations, and that's how he does it.

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f