2001 2.4 grand am MISFIRE :(

ok os where to begin mom has a 2001 Pontiac grand am with the 2.4 LITER engine. about a month ago it started a very slight misfire at idle at random times and over the past month it has gotten worse. Which brings me to where i am now. When you start the car it fires up just like normal every three seconds or so it will misfire the catalytic convert gets hot enough to turn a slight red. i hooked it up to a code scanner but all i got was a code p0300 "random misfire". so far me and dad have checked the coils and they came out good and we also switched them out with some other ones with no positive result. We have 3 ignition control modules and we have tried all three with no change.We bought a new ignition coil cover i guess you could call it yesterday because the original one had a slight burn mark on it and was arching.Dad said when he changed it it went back to running ok for a second then went right back to running like crap. There is also alot of clear condensation coming out of the exhaust its not coolant or oil. if anyone can help at all i would greatly appreciate it im trying to fix this for moms Christmas gift.

Change the converter out that could cause it to run like hell especially if its red hot

117v1h5.png

2005 Lariat F-150

On 30 inch DUBS

6 Crossfire XS-V2 18's

2 Cactus 12k's, 1 Cactus 1000, 1 sundown 100.4

12 - 6.5 Crescendo mids and 4 Crescendo supertweets

SMD 340 alt, Mechman 270 alt

7 NSB 170 batterys

1. make sure your plug wires are pushed in all the way

2. if that doesnt fix anything try replacing them could have a bad wire

3. take spark plugs out are they grimey and dirty? you might not be getting right fuel to air mixture and could be running lean or rich

4. dunno if it has a dizzy or a ign coil but could be a failing one of those

5. worse case scenario, a going or blown head gasket

edit: ignore 4 didnt read the part about the swapping the coil packs

you win some, you lose some

If the cat is getting hot that usually means the cat is clogged up, one thing that'll tell u if it is clogged would be to take the front oxygen sensor out of the pipe and start her up. If she runs fine its a clogged cat, if it doesn't change than you may have a wire issue or the coils aren't grounding properly. Def unscrew the oxygen sensor though first.

DC SOUND LAB NUT HUGGER

Currently Own
4 - 18" lvl 6s (m3) w/full Carbon Fiber option

2 - DC 5k

lvl 4 motor

lvl 2 motor

On 8/2/2013 at 8:13 PM, n8ball2013 said:

this is much worse. Its old n8 without the time or patience to hold fucking hands. I'm supposed to be doing school work but yet here i am making sure jr fuck fuck isn't trying to poke the other kids with a stick.

just changed them a few weeks back

catalytic convert gets hot enough to turn a slight red. iv seen this before and i think it was clogged, had to by new one.

Yo dog i heard you like boxes. so i put a box inside a box so you can bass while you FAIL

with the car running unplug a wire one at a time. when you unplug one it should run even worse. plug it back it and move to the next one. there will be one plug that there will be no change when you unplug it. that one is your issue. start there.

Archived