One Way Posted December 26, 2011 Report Posted December 26, 2011 I have a cheap craftsman set for on the road shit that I keep in the back of my car. Personally I like Blue Point tools for my home and work setups, they're great quality, not snap-on but much cheaper. Some of the best tools I've worked with for the price. I love craftsman for the price and warranty but the breakage rate is a pain in the ass. Not a fan of kobalt and I personally hate husky tools. Matco is also a good brand for the price, not the best but not bad either. In the end its all up to your price and what tools your lookin for in the set. Good luck. Blue point is snap on. But I think it might be like the budget set of snap on, or "cheaper" if you may. They're still very good tools tho. T-line build- http://www.stevemead...e-t-line-build/
Jd1102 Posted December 26, 2011 Author Report Posted December 26, 2011 matco or mac tools ive been trying to find prices on some sets of tools of these do they sell like a mechanics tool set? i couldn't find a set on there website? maybe i just looked over it?
Jd1102 Posted December 26, 2011 Author Report Posted December 26, 2011 I have a cheap craftsman set for on the road shit that I keep in the back of my car. Personally I like Blue Point tools for my home and work setups, they're great quality, not snap-on but much cheaper. Some of the best tools I've worked with for the price. I love craftsman for the price and warranty but the breakage rate is a pain in the ass. Not a fan of kobalt and I personally hate husky tools. Matco is also a good brand for the price, not the best but not bad either. In the end its all up to your price and what tools your lookin for in the set. Good luck. Blue point is snap on. But I think it might be like the budget set of snap on, or "cheaper" if you may. They're still very good tools tho. x2 bluepoint is cheap snap on we have a snap on rep that came to our class
watabeast Posted December 26, 2011 Report Posted December 26, 2011 matco or mac tools ive been trying to find prices on some sets of tools of these do they sell like a mechanics tool set? i couldn't find a set on there website? maybe i just looked over it? I think you have to go through a distributor in your area. I know over here theres tool trucks that go around to certain shops in the industrial areas.
photochrisb931 Posted December 26, 2011 Report Posted December 26, 2011 I worked in the automotive industry for 12 yrs before physical problems decided I needed another profession. Blue Point is the cheaper line of Snap On tools. Good quality no doubt. The good part is Snap On offers a great educational discount as does Matco I think. That said check in your area what tool supplier offers the best service. In the area I worked in Mac tools was the most reliable so naturally most of my tools are and were Mac and we had the same tool man from them for years prior and he still delivers now. Snap On's tool guy would change regularly with huge gaps in the middle so if you broke one you had to send in to company and wait for an exchange. Not the normal two or three day or immediate on the instances it needed to be done and he would come by. In my humble opinion, Snap On ratchets are the best in the business as far as weight and balance as are their screw drivers as far as bite and not wobbling out heads. Most all top end sockets are great, be it Mac, Snap On, Matco, Blue Point, or SK. The plus side most all are serviced by someone who comes to the shop. Kobalt are good tools the same as Craftsman Professional are, but I am not aware of either company delivering to the shop and servicing then and there. Air tool wise, I like Snap On. This is a preference not a better. Mac,s are made by Ingersol Rand and are of top quality I just prefer the feel of the Snap On. I would talk to top end shops in your area and see who provides the best service. Then check in to who offers the best educational discount. I hope this long winded explanation helps you make your choice. Barstad
Jd1102 Posted December 26, 2011 Author Report Posted December 26, 2011 I worked in the industry for 12 yrs before physical problems decided I needed another profession. Blue Point is the cheaper line of Snap On tools. Good quality no doubt. The great part is Snap On offers a great educational discount as does Matco I think. That said check in your area what tool supplier offers the best service. In the area I worked in Mac tools was the most reliable so naturally most of my tools are and were Mac and we had the same tool man from them for years prior and he still delivers now. Snap On's tool guy would change regularly with huge gaps in the middle so if you broke one you had to send in to company and wait for an exchange. Not the normal two or three or immediate on the instances it needed to be done and he would come by. In my humble opinion Snap On ratchets are the best in the business as far as weight and balance as are their screw drivers as far as bite and not wobbling out heads. Most all top end sockets are great be it Mac, Snap On, Matco, Blue Point, or SK. The plus side most all are serviced by someone who comes to the shop. Kobalt are good tools the same as Craftsman Professional are but I am not aware of either company delivering to the shop and servicing then and there. Air tool wise I like Snap On. This is a preference not a better. Macs are made by Ingersol Rand and are of top quality I just prefer the feel of the Snap On. I would talk to top end shops in your area and see who provides the best service. Then check in to who offers the best educational discount. I hope this long winded explanation helps you make your choice. my school give me like a 45% discount on snap-on but i just don't have the money for them and i have to buy them before i finish school maybe i will save every dollar and go ahead and get them. i do agree that snap on prob has the best ratchets ive used a 4 ft cheater on a 3/8 drive with me(230) and another 200 pound guy and ratchet didn't break. on a half inch drive i have used a forklift to back in to a 4ft cheater and didn't break the ratchet. LOVE THEM but those weren't my tools they were a guys at work. and there sockets with the flank drive i want say can't remember its where they grip on the sides of the bolts instead of the points never round over bolts LOVE IT. just so pricey with my lil money i have now. i know when i start working as a mechanic i will start to buy them as i can but its hard now also hard to pass that deal up though. but thank you for your help its appreciated
photochrisb931 Posted December 26, 2011 Report Posted December 26, 2011 Most all top end sockets are flank drive for that reason. I started apprenticing while in tech school and was able to finance through Snap ON so that may be an option. I did not get the discount for that reason but I needed the tools then and it paid off for me as I only financed what I needed. Since I was fortunate enough to work for a shop that paid very well at the time I was able to pay those off before I completed the program. Then I was able to buy more with the discount through the school. Good luck man it is a great profession to be in though there is a lot of cursing of engineers LOL. Barstad
Jd1102 Posted December 26, 2011 Author Report Posted December 26, 2011 Most all top end sockets are flank drive for that reason. I started apprenticing while in tech school and was able to finance through Snap ON so that may be an option. I did not get the discount for that reason but I needed the tools then and it paid off for me as I only financed what I needed. Since I was fortunate enough to work for a shop that paid very well at the time I was able to pay those off before I completed the program. Then I was able to buy more with the discount through the school. Good luck man it is a great profession to be in though there is a lot of cursing of engineers LOL. i bet hehehe i love cursing ppl anyways haha makes it fun lolz appreciate the input!
photochrisb931 Posted December 26, 2011 Report Posted December 26, 2011 Oh and yeah I have busted Mac Matco and Craftsman ratchets with a 4 footer but never a Snap On and that is part of the reason I loved them so. But the old fashion all metal Snap On's weight and balance keeps fatigue on your hands at a minimum. Barstad
Jd1102 Posted December 26, 2011 Author Report Posted December 26, 2011 Oh and yeah I have busted Mac Matco and Craftsman ratchets with a 4 footer but never a Snap On and that is part of the reason I loved them so. But the old fashion all metal Snap On's weight and balance keeps fatigue on your hands at a minimum. i havn't used mac or matco but craftsman broke plenty and to me craftsman sockets and wrenches are more pron to rounding of the bolts and as i try to go be a professional car mechanic that gets paid in flag hours i don't want to make more work for myself i want it to be as fast as possible without breaking tool or bolts edit: ive just stood on a craftsman ratchet before no cheater and broke the insides of it lol
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.