Not speaking out of turn I hope, but wouldnt the newer cars computers compensate for that if it senses a change and keep it running right, hopefully better?

Some people need a sympathetic pat... on the head...with my hammer

Scientia est Vox

"In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti"clover.gif

DONT BE AFRAID TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Roscoe.jpg

Great Question....the answer is yes and no. ECM's can re-calculate the A/F ratio, but they still can only calculate within a certain tolerance. Most of the ones that I have played with can't compensate more then a 5% change.

2k6 Dodge Ram 2500...CUMMINS POWERED - SOLD

Sure...I guess I should have touched on this a little more...sorry.

If you look at older cars, Carb's were typically jetted at a range of 0-5000 ft. At these levels of altitude, the average A/F ratio changes anywhere from 1- 3% per 1000 ft.

So Automobile manufactures set ECM's to work within the same range as previous test results. Being that the higher in altitude you go, the lower octane fuel is offered (example, the stations in my area carry 85 for cheap, 87 for mid and 91 for premium), this allowed automobile manufactures to only have to program the ecm's to need an average of 1% change per 1000 ft, hense the total tolerance of 5% that most of them have.

So I should just buy an intake instead of an exhaust? Or with the intake in I should get an exhaust to allow more air out since I can have more airflow in?

Any horsepower tips are GREATLY appreciated since I'm driving a ford 2.3L OHC which is only putting out about 105-110 hp. So horsepower REALLY counts for me LOL

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not

you havent lived until you've hit a screw with a router.

Keep in mind that more air in, more air out, doesn't make Hp.

You need a combination of Air and Fuel to make Hp.

If you do an intake and an exhaust, your motor has a huge chance of running lean, due to not having enough fuel to burn. Is it fuel injected or carb'd? If it's carb'd you can adjust the jets to give you more fuel, but your fuel mileage will suffer. If it's injected you'll need to get some type of programmer to help adjust the a/f ratio and add fuel.

Keep in mind that more air in, more air out, doesn't make Hp.

You need a combination of Air and Fuel to make Hp.

If you do an intake and an exhaust, your motor has a huge chance of running lean, due to not having enough fuel to burn. Is it fuel injected or carb'd? If it's carb'd you can adjust the jets to give you more fuel, but your fuel mileage will suffer. If it's injected you'll need to get some type of programmer to help adjust the a/f ratio and add fuel.

It's fuel injected. It has an air flow senor right behind the air filter which tells the truck how much airs comming in, I read that I needed to unhook the battery for 5 mins and then run the truck and the computer would accomadate for more airflow. And If I don't do that it says the check engine light will come on when its downshifted.

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Actually most vehicles have the MAS wired in, so if you disconnect it (I know you didn't mention doing this) you'll get a check engine light. You can buy better sensors that will tell the computer that more air is entering the system, but still your ecm will only add fuel within a range. It doesn't have the capability to completely accomodate for fuel outside of it's programmed range.

Actually most vehicles have the MAS wired in, so if you disconnect it (I know you didn't mention doing this) you'll get a check engine light. You can buy better sensors that will tell the computer that more air is entering the system, but still your ecm will only add fuel within a range. It doesn't have the capability to completely accomodate for fuel outside of it's programmed range.

Ok jegs has the programmer for my truck for $200 i'll probably start with an intake, then get the programmer. Thanks for the help!!

Sorry for the thread jack

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps