Sonic Electronix

Hey Guys, i have a 2003 Ford Ranger Edge ext. cab and i had a starter system i guess you could say of 2 12" MTX Magna Magnums with the paired amp. I know they are crap but it worked for me for awhile. Well I'm looking to upgrade to something better, but i don't have too much to spend. I also have a pioneer DEH - 6300UB head unit. Any suggestions would be greatly apppreciated!

Hey Guys, i have a 2003 Ford Ranger Edge ext. cab and i had a starter system i guess you could say of 2 12" MTX Magna Magnums with the paired amp. I know they are crap but it worked for me for awhile. Well I'm looking to upgrade to something better, but i don't have too much to spend. I also have a pioneer DEH - 6300UB head unit. Any suggestions would be greatly apppreciated!

How much is "don't have too much"?

Um: space, goal, and I know you said not much to spend...but actually giving a budget would be helpful.

Also, to save the most money, you're going to want to stay within what your stock electrical can provide. Which might mean, a better headunit, wiring, and enclsoure will be what actually gets upgraded.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

If I were you, I would keep the subs, but build a better enclosure for them to sound better( and maybe even louder too), and buy some new door speakers, whether coaxials or components so your mids and highs at least sound better, and maybe a new amp for the subs too since the amp that came with them is only feeding half their rms. Since you say you're on a budget, go look around at craigslist or maybe even pawn shop cause you'll be surprised, I once got a 12' Kicker 07CVR like new for $60 at a pawn shop.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

the subs came from crutchfield as a bass package thing, again they were fine for me for awhile, then i...well i "elbow dropped" one of the subs by accident, it stilled played and i could probably seal it even though it wouldn't be worth it and yes i actually thought about buying a better amp for them as well or at least the one that doesn't have two rips in the cone, just can't decide if i want to work with those or get new ones.

Well, if one of them is damaged, then you're better off saving for new ones then.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

the subs came from crutchfield as a bass package thing, again they were fine for me for awhile, then i...well i "elbow dropped" one of the subs by accident, it stilled played and i could probably seal it even though it wouldn't be worth it and yes i actually thought about buying a better amp for them as well or at least the one that doesn't have two rips in the cone, just can't decide if i want to work with those or get new ones.

I would upgrade all wires (including speaker) to a bigger gauge. As far as the rest is concerned, It's hard to say without an actual number My 'Cheap upgrade' was about $600. My definition of cheap and yours may be very different.

But My alternator (120amp) and battery (720?amp) are pushing a 1.1500D Onyx and Fi SSD 15" (dual 1ohm). those 2 things together would put you in the $400 range. I'm sure that you could push it too. However you would need to upgrade you Ground wire (from neg-terminal -> frame), Alternators hot wire, and run some 4-5gauge to your amp. I'm using 14guage wire for my sub, but I used positive and negative together (to make slightly bigger wire) for both negative and positive leads. Then I replaced every piece of speaker wire in my jeep with 14gauge wire.

My previous upgrade was buying 2 Rockford amps to push my tweets and rear 6x9s.

-------------

I would say upgrade your tweets and mids. A week or two into that, you'll be so thirsty for better bass you might (like me) go out and buy Fi ;)

EDIT: One day, one day I'll learn to spell, I swear it!

Edited by lagexe

well the old system has been out of my truck for awhile now and i was using the factory radio but now have the pioneer head unit i mentioned before, and the only thing that is worth saving from the subs is actually just one sub, the amp broke, the wiring was fried and the box that the subs came is was getting torn up. After reading what you wrote Lagexe, i see how as you upgrade your system you need to change all the wires and grounds but i guess im just looking for simple bass...if thats even possible...not sure if i want to tackle changing all that stuff i my truck

well the old system has been out of my truck for awhile now and i was using the factory radio but now have the pioneer head unit i mentioned before, and the only thing that is worth saving from the subs is actually just one sub, the amp broke, the wiring was fried and the box that the subs came is was getting torn up. After reading what you wrote Lagexe, i see how as you upgrade your system you need to change all the wires and grounds but i guess im just looking for simple bass...if thats even possible...not sure if i want to tackle changing all that stuff i my truck

Changing wires are simple. I could point you to a better amp to push that 1 sub, but I'll need the full specs (ohms, rms, coil count) Then I may be able to steer you toward a better sub to compliment that amp for cheap(ish) ;)

EDIT: If I start leaning your in the wrong direction someone will step in to help you further ;)

Edited by lagexe