Sonic Electronix

F***ed something up...dont know what

i went to install my new volt meter and while i was crimping the new butt connectors on, i accidentally shorted the 12v wire with the handle of the crimper and now im only getting 2.3v on the yellow 12v wire. the only fuse associated with that circuit (cig lighter/stereo) is fine. there are no burn marks on any connectors. i really hope i dont have to rip my entire dash apart and trace the wire, but if it has to come to that then fuck it.

edit: edited swear from title

Edited by Kranny

Take out the battery for ANY electrical work. if it comes down to it I would just run a new wire instead of trace the old one and repair it.

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

I would think so. The fuse didnt blow? Do you still have 12 volts at that fuse?

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

I would think so. The fuse didnt blow? Do you still have 12 volts at that fuse?

well i didnt test voltage at the fuse cause its cold as balls out and i was getting pissed, but i pulled it out and it looked perfect. i have a phone charger in the cig lighter also and its on and working fine.

Edited by Kranny

Your only getting 2.3V but the charger works?

Big 3 with Yellow Top

never good enough to just look at a fuse, get a DMM out and test it. Most of the time it is obviously blown but it can be over looked easily also.

True. I have fixed problems by swapping fuses even though the original one "looked fine"

Big 3 with Yellow Top

Your only getting 2.3V but the charger works?

yup. the red 12v wire (forgot the name) still reads 12v too, which is kinda confusing. the cig/stereo fuse probably has two wires coming off of it, one for the cig and one for the stereo and i messed the one up for the stereo