Sonic Electronix

so i pulled this subwoofer out of a limo my dad is driving. the wires were cut and it was being unused so my dad said just take it. it was hooked up to a normal stereo amp with no low pass filter and i'm pretty sure the sub is blown. i don't have an amp to test it right now but when i pulled the subwoofer out of the box i was kind of suprised. now i'm no audio pro but i would say i know a decent amount. (i did hook up my friends whole system in his truck even though his subs are over powered right now due to the amp he had) my question is. does this wiring set-up even work? i've never seen a sub wired like this before, please give me as much info as possible. include info about what it does to ohm load and yada yada yada.

sub is an AudioTech AT - 1044

Photo0522.jpg

Edited by KyleRhone

As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride.

It's a completely valid way of wiring. I would assume by the name that it is a dual voice coil 4 ohm sub. That means it's wired like this:

1_4ohm_dvc_8ohm.gif

It's a completely valid way of wiring. I would assume by the name that it is a dual voice coil 4 ohm sub. That means it's wired like this:

1_4ohm_dvc_8ohm.gif

ok so on the bottom of the sub it says 800W, so that would mean RMS it would run 400W at 8ohms?

As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride.

no that means the amp would be seeing an 8ohm load..

This isn't teeball. YOU DO NOT GET A TROPHY JUST BECAUSE YOU SHOW UP. Put the work in and then maybe get the respect when it has been earned

151.6 with single 12 at 41 hz

153.2 with 2 12's at 43 hz

power: dd m4

X2 that works great it is wired in series.

Edit: That might be peak but ya it should run off 400 watts @ 8 ohms

Thank you!

now one more question...

i always do all my window shopping on sonicelectronix and when looking at amps i always see things like RMS bridged @ 4ohms. i never see anything talking about 8ohms. so an 8ohm sub will work on a 4ohm stable amp correct?

Umm as stated above that is not a 8ohm sub that is just the resistance it is wired to. So you could wire it in parallel + to + - to - and get a 2 ohm load to the amp if it has d4 coils. For more power from the amp you would not need as big an amp that way.

But yes you can have more ohms then the amp is stable for example so if the amp is 2ohm stable you can run anything 2 ohms or more to the amp like 2,3,4, exe. but you get less power the higher resistance. But you can not run less then 2ohms like 1 ohm or .5 off the 2ohm stable amp.

Edited by 14dbass

Suburban Build Log

"So much money and time spent making copper winding move up and down a magnetic pole"

DC Audio Eclipse

Umm as stated above that is not a 8ohm sub that is just the resistance it is wired to. So you could wire it in parallel + to + - to - and get a 2 ohm load to the amp if it has d4 coils. For more power from the amp you would not need as big an amp that way.

But yes you can have more ohms then the amp is stable for so if the amp is 2ohm stable you can run anything 2 ohms or more to the amp like 2,3,4, exe. but you get less power the higher resistance. But you can not run less then 2ohms like 1 ohm or .5 of the 2ohm stable amp.

Thanks again! you just gave me the answers to things i've been wondering for awhile now

But yes you can have more ohms then the amp is stable for so if the amp is 2ohm stable you can run anything 2 ohms or more to the amp like 2,3,4, exe. but you get less power the higher resistance. But you can not run less then 2ohms like 1 ohm or .5 of the 2ohm stable amp.

Thanks again! you just gave me the answers to things i've been wondering for awhile now

You can always run an amp at or above it's lowest stable ohm load, but never below.

Ex: a 1 ohm stable amp can be run at 1 ohm, 2 ohms, 4 ohms, 6.4739 ohms etc, but NOT .5 ohms or .25 ohms.

Running above an amp's lowest stable ohm load will result in less output, (possibly) higher efficiency depending on the amp, and an increase in damping factor (999/1000 times: you don't even need to think about this)

Running at the lowest stable load: You get the greatest potential power output.

:drinks: