Second Skin Audio

Resistor to change the ohm load?

I was thinking abou this the other day and was wondering if you have let's say a 4 ohm SVC sub like a 9500 or something, could you take a 4 ohm resistor, wire it in parallel, and make the ohm load 2? Or is it not possible since resistors aren't polarized?

You mean to get louder making a 2 ohm load? It won't get louder because the extra power you would be getting from the amp would turn into heat in the resistor not into sound. Besides who knows what resistor would handle that much power.

A lot of bad info here.

Caps are polarized, not resistors.

As long as you use a non-inductive resistor, it will not affect the signal or frequency response.

If you created a coil from wire, you have created an inductor, which will change the frequency response.

The correct answer to the OP question should be:

Even if you parallel enough resistors to do this, it is a waste. Let's say you have an amp that does 500 watts at 4 ohms and 1000 watts at two ohms. The 4 ohm sub gets 500 watts. Add the resistor in parallel (and assume it is VERY high power), and your amp now outputs 1000 watts. But guess what - 500 watts goes to the sub and 500 watts goes to the resistor. Nothing gained but some additional heat and stress on your electrical.

thank you! lol. i was doing a face palm to every response in here.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.