LED lights lighting up when bass hits

Sigh.. I've explained this before plenty of times lol.

If you hook your LEDs to your speaker terminals and they light up with the bass, it means you're clipping. LEDs light up when shown DC current, correct? What does an amp do when it clips? Outputs dc current. So what you think looks cool, is actually ruining equipment. Do it the right way, someone sells a little box that takes the rca's and transfers the signal into power for the LEDs.

Actually, no, that is not clipping. The led is flashing, just like the new Christmas leds that you plug into the wall. They flash faster than your eyes can see.

Also, for music reactive lighting http://www.xoxide.com/sounaccat.html

Made for computer cases, but I've used them in my truck, computer, everywhere I have a 12 volt source. They work at least up to 15 volts because that's what I charge at.

If you hook your LEDs to your speaker terminals and they light up with the bass, it means you're clipping. LEDs light up when shown DC current, correct? What does an amp do when it clips? Outputs dc current. So what you think looks cool, is actually ruining equipment. Do it the right way, someone sells a little box that takes the rca's and transfers the signal into power for the LEDs.

actualy led's can be lit with ac current. Everytime you play any sine wave, the led would light up Every time you have a positive voltage. It in no way means you are sending a clipped signal

It still interferes with your volt current.

True, and most led's will suffer from reverse breakdown and won't last long. The best and cheapest way to lite LEDs with you amplifier output would be to make a full wave rectifier before the led's that way you would get a constant varying dc current without sending the opposie polarity voltage to the led's

If this were true why wouldn't there be rectifiers on LED Christmas lights?

well most of those lights do use rectifiers. They only use half wave rectifiers to protect from reversed polarity. At least the ones I have do. But yes a led lit by ac current in no way indicates clipping. If they only lit from a clipped signal or dc current, why would we have the dd-1? Right?

fiaq3-1.jpg

2000 Subaru outback 2.5l

Head Unit: Pioneer deh 4300ub

front stage: tbd

subwoofer: Stock Fi Q 18"

amp: Audio que 1200d

my question, then is why is my amp always clipping if i have my gain all the way down n volume nowhere near its clipping volume?i got 1000 leds from china for 3 bucks n if it will only work with clipped power then my shits broke guys.all of it.damn them mtx amps n alpine decks.trying to ruin my stuff

regardless of the heavy sarcasm. your method of install leds on teh back of the speakers is ghetto as hell. buy some christmas lights if you want it to blink .

well my point is op was wondering how to do it. this is how i did it and it works. im not running off my sub amp, im running off my highs and it works and not only with clipped signals. eitherway,hokey or not, it works. thats all i was trying to say.

SORRY OP for taking up more space. hope youu get the box these guys found. imma stay hokey till i decide im just going to have a switch for my leds.

Lucky Durango

Sony hu

4 croosfire 6.5mids

crossfire 600.1 mono amp

American bass 1280.4 mids and highs amp

aq hdc3 12

2.4 cube net box, tuned to 34 and 14.4 inches of port per cube

Obviously you were never taught about how DIODES work. Current only flows in one direction so, Light Emitting Diodes will light up with AC current(aka AC Amperage, remember... you test it when clamping rms power)

The positive swing of AC is the voltage, the negative swing of AC is the current.

(sorry for the late response, all of the posts didn't show up for some reason until after i submitted my response)

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

Obviously you were never taught about how DIODES work. Current only flows in one direction so, Light Emitting Diodes will light up with AC current(aka AC Amperage, remember... you test it when clamping rms power)

The positive swing of AC is the voltage, the negative swing of AC is the current.

It is still a stupid idea. You risk frying the led lights...unless u r made of money...its just a waste of time. Sure the refernce I said off of amazon is off by like a milli second...but it still works like a charm. Though my sound box is so far away from my subs.

I always used a sound box n I have no complaints.

(sorry for the late response, all of the posts didn't show up for some reason until after i submitted my response)

New build coming soon. [center][url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/3/sigtoo.jpg/"][img]http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/9541/sigtoo.jpg[/img][/url][/center]

It is still a stupid idea. You risk frying the led lights...unless u r made of money...its just a waste of time. Sure the refernce I said off of amazon is off by like a milli second...but it still works like a charm. Though my sound box is so far away from my subs.

I always used a sound box n I have no complaints.

I never said it was a good idea. Even if you do it correctly with a resistor in series the current would be enough destroy the resistor/LED... maybe not instantly but eventually.

Having any lights inside while driving is a stupid idea, for shows and stuff LEDs are cool but illegal is illegal

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

Archived