Second Skin Audio

Criticism Needed! *click me*

and also on the one we see the loading issue with couldn't you just tilt the sub at an angle to fix that? like as in load off the top of the box?

Then you have to work with alot of confusing angles. haha.

I wouldnt want to do that. Just put the port on the side and the sub will load off of the side of the port. thats exactly how my old 4th order was designed but with aeros. RAM designed it if that means anything. haha

2 DC 12" lvl 4s

1 DC 1.2k

XS Power S3400

big 3

Alll KNU wire

Pioneer HU

cheapo Legacy coaxes (just for now)

dc-audio-you-should-get-there-is-no-try-just-do-thumb-1.jpg

and also on the one we see the loading issue with couldn't you just tilt the sub at an angle to fix that? like as in load off the top of the box?

Then you have to work with alot of confusing angles. haha.

I wouldnt want to do that. Just put the port on the side and the sub will load off of the side of the port. thats exactly how my old 4th order was designed but with aeros. RAM designed it if that means anything. haha

i thought that at first but changed my mind thinking they had to have the box that way like a center console but yes i agree that would work.

edit: and i think technically all he would have to do is take a half inch off top measuerment and add it to bottom and should be same space but i may be wrong. even if i am i think it would be close enough

Edited by Jd1102

Looks pretty good but forget all about ratios imo.

Also I agree the first box will have loading issues, you're firing right at a port vs loading off of something. My 2 cents, I have a 4th order wall but I'm far from a 4th order pro.

Not to thread jack... But could you explain this one to me?

I think i kind of understand what he means. i guess it can be kind of explained by an analogy of sorts. if you had a regular ported box with the sub firing forward and (heaven forbid) the port directly behind it firing back, then there wouldn't be much to control excursion because the air would escape before it had a chance to bounce off the walls a couple of times (fail explanation)

boxes help control excursion by maintaining pressure inside the box, without that pressure it would be like a free air environment, in which it is easier to reach the mechanical limits of the sub because there is less force pushing back up on the cone to keep it from bottoming out. so if most of the air escapes before it can pressurize, then you might as well have a free air environment...okay maybe not that dramatic, but you get the point.

^^that probably doesn't make any sense whatsoever, but i'm too tired to go back and read that shit right now lol.

i could just be talking out of my ass too who knows.

feel free to ask any more questions. i'm here to learn too

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

Also I agree the first box will have loading issues, you're firing right at a port vs loading off of something. My 2 cents, I have a 4th order wall but I'm far from a 4th order pro.

I think i kind of understand what he means. i guess it can be kind of explained by an analogy of sorts. if you had a regular ported box with the sub firing forward and (heaven forbid) the port directly behind it firing back, then there wouldn't be much to control excursion because the air would escape before it had a chance to bounce off the walls a couple of times (fail explanation)

boxes help control excursion by maintaining pressure inside the box, without that pressure it would be like a free air environment, in which it is easier to reach the mechanical limits of the sub because there is less force pushing back up on the cone to keep it from bottoming out. so if most of the air escapes before it can pressurize, then you might as well have a free air environment...okay maybe not that dramatic, but you get the point.

^^that probably doesn't make any sense whatsoever, but i'm too tired to go back and read that shit right now lol.

that works for me thats kinda how i think of it

Looks pretty good but forget all about ratios imo. Also I agree the first box will have loading issues, you're firing right at a port vs loading off of something. My 2 cents, I have a 4th order wall but I'm far from a 4th order pro.
why do you say forget about the ratios? i thought that was the key to 4ths im also trying to learn.edit: and to op from what i have learned i also agree about the loading issue others look nice

Theres quite a few people out there who will say the same thing. Ratio's mean nothing, its really all based off of speaker parameters and goals of the box.

Looks pretty good but forget all about ratios imo. Also I agree the first box will have loading issues, you're firing right at a port vs loading off of something. My 2 cents, I have a 4th order wall but I'm far from a 4th order pro.

With a bandpass you're using both the front and rear wave of the speaker. With the port directly in front of the speaker you're not fully "pressurizing" the wave in the ported side

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not

you havent lived until you've hit a screw with a router.

That makes sense if the port was protruding right next to the sub leaving the rest of the airspace of the box pretty much unused, but your port is all the way on the other side. I'm wondering how it can still have a loading issue

:trippy:

You're pretty close with that, not a bad explanation. I've been drinking so I cant really come up with a great explanation. I'll chime in tomorrow :good:

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

the only reason i said that is bc audiofanaticz said mike singer said 2:1 ported to sealed is the best for spl. and i think mike singer knows his stuff builds some nasty loud rides. and i wouldn't think audiofanaticz would like about what singer said

That makes sense if the port was protruding right next to the sub leaving the rest of the airspace of the box pretty much unused, but your port is all the way on the other side. I'm wondering how it can still have a loading issue

:trippy:

bc even though its however far away alot of the wave isn't bouncing off anything just going straight out the ports its not like the wave goes out and then turns

the only reason i said that is bc audiofanaticz said mike singer said 2:1 ported to sealed is the best for spl. and i think mike singer knows his stuff builds some nasty loud rides. and i wouldn't think audiofanaticz would like about what singer said

No offense to mike singer (or you) but there were plenty of loud bandpasses before he even built his first speakerbox let alone bandpass. There was no such thing as a magic ratio. The amount of time tuning he puts into them is amazing and props to him for building awesome ass boxes. But there is SOOOO much more to bandpass enclosures than just a simple ratio, it can be a "guideline" i guess but even then that is pushing it. And of course with a bigger ported portion and a smaller sealed you're going to have more spl (not always) but with that smaller sealed section you're limiting and raising the bandwidth to a higher set of frequencies. When you play higher frequencies then yeah 9 times out of 10 you're going to be putting up higher numbers than lower frequencies but at what cost? Sure you can dump more power into these setups and MAKE them play low notes but that kind of defeats the purpose of a bandpass.

As i said no offense, I really dont mean this to seem standoffish

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps