Second Skin Audio

Criticism Needed! *click me*

So i'm pretty sure most of y'all saw my other thread where i was practicing my 4th order skillzzz (or lack there of).

Unfortunately, the thread didn't quite go as i'd hoped lol. turned into a "do mine next" instead of a "try this next time" thread. guess i could have predicted that part :pardon:

anyways i'm going to put the charity work on hold for the time being so i can get some critique and maybe learn a thing or two.

so yeah, feedback, critiqe, admire, yadda yadda.

box 1: DC level 4 15. 2:1 ratio, 18"h,24"w,44"l (minus the port), 52hz tuning, port is 12.5" wide, 7 inches tall, 9 inches long.

now i'm 90% sure this box will have loading issues, i didn't think about that when i made it; but hopefully someone can explain to me the theory behind this. is it because the front wave doesn't really have time to reverberate? explain?

lvl4bandpass.png

Sketchup link.

Box 2: 4 Fi Q 12's, 2:1 ratio, 14.5"h x 38"w x 55"l (minus 4" external port), 45hz tuning, port is 8"h x 16"w x 11"l.

FIQ12BANDPASS.png

sketchup link 2

Box 4: 3 sundown z v.3 12's, 2:1 ratio, external dimensions 32.25w x 20.0h x 36.0d, tuned to 52 hz, port is 18.5 high, 5.5 wide, 6 deep. there's a place for a little lexan window to see the inside of the enclosure for aesthetic reasons, and/or to access the subs if need be.

3zv312bandpass.png

sketchup link 4

Box 5: 2 DC level 4 12's. bout a 1:1.5 ratio. 15h x 36w x 27d without external port. one has a slot port, one has an 8 inch tube, both tuned to about 48 hz. the sealed portion is basically a 30x60x90 triangle.

beaverballsround.png

beaverballsslot.png

sketchup link 5

while we're at it, does someone want to explain some theories on how 4th orders work?

more specifically, what does the tuning mean for the cutoff frequency? and does it peak at that frequency?

and lastly how can one tell how a 4th will handle and play the lower frequencies?

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

Box 5: 2 DC level 4 12's. bout a 1:1.5 ratio. 15h x 36w x 27d without external port. one has a slot port, one has an 8 inch tube, both tuned to about 48 hz. the sealed portion is basically a 30x60x90 triangle.

beaverballsround.png

oh snap! that thing looks like a beast! haha

Yeah i thought there would be some loading issues. I cant explain why. lol... only because DUDEWITH4X4 blew a sub i think because of a box just like that. Idk how it works though.

I will keep this drawing in hand just incase i want to use it thanks man. surprise you didnt put a window in it like we were talking about in the PMs. hahahaha

2 DC 12" lvl 4s

1 DC 1.2k

XS Power S3400

big 3

Alll KNU wire

Pioneer HU

cheapo Legacy coaxes (just for now)

dc-audio-you-should-get-there-is-no-try-just-do-thumb-1.jpg

Looks pretty good but forget all about ratios imo.

Also I agree the first box will have loading issues, you're firing right at a port vs loading off of something. My 2 cents, I have a 4th order wall but I'm far from a 4th order pro.

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not

you havent lived until you've hit a screw with a router.

I will keep this drawing in hand just incase i want to use it thanks man. surprise you didnt put a window in it like we were talking about in the PMs. hahahaha

I could put a window on the top if you gave me an extra quarter inch of height to work with lol

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

Also I agree the first box will have loading issues, you're firing right at a port vs loading off of something. My 2 cents, I have a 4th order wall but I'm far from a 4th order pro.

why do you say forget about the ratios? i thought that was the key to 4ths im also trying to learn.

edit: and to op from what i have learned i also agree about the loading issue others look nice

Edited by Jd1102

I could put a window on the top if you gave me an extra quarter inch of height to work with lol

Oh well thats way too much space i cant fit that in there. lol...

2 DC 12" lvl 4s

1 DC 1.2k

XS Power S3400

big 3

Alll KNU wire

Pioneer HU

cheapo Legacy coaxes (just for now)

dc-audio-you-should-get-there-is-no-try-just-do-thumb-1.jpg

If you can all of these tuned right. These box designs are badass.

I would love to know this as well, I recently built a 4th order similar to the first one in question and for the time being it seems to be working quite well and as far as I can tell there aren't any loading issues.. But I may be wrong..

Laying frame soon.. System has to wait

Not to thread jack... But could you explain this one to me?