Second Skin Audio

Suspension travel

Today i was looking at the subs from DD, all there subs have 30mm+ of suspension travel. Im not sure if this is one way or two, either way its impresive when my btl is 28mm. Ive herd people say that subs are falsely sold on xmax which im not buyin into that because the more the sub moves the more air it moves. (right?)

My question is why do the DD subs have such a high travel as were 90% of subs dont even come close. And does it make a difference? Should i jump on a dd wagon because of this?

difference comes when you can push the sub to the point of maximum excursion and when producing very low frequencies. If you model your enclosure and install environment you can create an excursion/power graph to tell you if the DD subs extra movement capability can even be used at your power levels.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

difference comes when you can push the sub to the point of maximum excursion and when producing very low frequencies. If you model your enclosure and install environment you can create an excursion/power graph to tell you if the DD subs extra movement capability can even be used at your power levels.

So lets say i have 2k going to a sub with a rms of 2k (perfect world) the xmax of said sub is 25mm. Box is perfect for the car and sub (peaks at 24.9mm on 2k)

I then take a 2k sub, same amp same imp same everything (perfect world again) but the xmax of said sub is 35mm, i make box mods to get the 34.9mm out of this sub on the 2k.

In theory will there be a improvment?

I really hope the way i worded this makes sence. Lol

Edited by 94retta(219)

xmax can help you out when picking lower powered subs, but it's really not a good indicator of how loud a big sub will be.

DD really pioneered the tall surround - as opposed to a fat, wide one. Allows for more cone area on a sub with high Xmax.

Tuani Fabrication

Wasilla, AK

I think DD uses suspension travel because it is not the true Xmax. They run out of BL before the "suspension travel" rating.

The BTL is a true 28mm Xmax. Still 70% BL at 28mm one way excursion.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Xmax and Xmech aren't usually off by more than a few mm. DD's nearest equivalent to a BTL is 30mm Xmech. I imagine they're pretty close.

Tuani Fabrication

Wasilla, AK

I was told by a SPL competitor that uses DD that the coils they give ~16-17 mm Xmax (cannot verify that myself). I would guess it is off by more than a few mm, or they would just advertise the true Xmax. Not bashing DD subs, they are great subs. I was just trying to answer the OP's question.

Like the old MT's. Short BL Xmax figure, but so much motor force you could throw them beyond the gap without any problem.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.