Second Skin Audio

The ulitmate subwoofer enclosure

Was that the extent of design differences? One was wider? And of one was the same size, how would it be any different? And if the horn performed better in the home, then it was not designed properly. Any pics, specs, information of the enclosures?

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

lol. im pretty sure the tile inside the box is him trying to get a "smooth surface"

just resin the inside of the box like 99% of the guys on here that want to get a smooth surface.

Alpine CDA-9886Hertz Mille 3 ways active

Hertz SPL Show 8's

2 Audison Voce Quattro's2 DC Audio M2 Level 5 12'sDC Audio 12.0KKnuKonceptz Wiring4 XS Power D3100'sDC Power 390XPSecond Skin Damplifier Pro and Dynamat Xtreme

Esy3YgK.jpg

Was that the extent of design differences? One was wider? And of one was the same size, how would it be any different? And if the horn performed better in the home, then it was not designed properly. Any pics, specs, information of the enclosures?

I'm not trying to bad mouth anyone here or cause controversy, so I don't want to go into too much details about the horn, so ill end this part of the subject for me by saying that it was the ''Auto Tuba'' and about $800 worth of testing for my personal satisfaction.

It was built right.

The wider box will help to hit the low notes better and it does that just fine. I even tried a ten inch driver with the correct parameters and three times the wattage. Same results "for me"

In my home right now two 10'' ported drivers against my one 8'' horn is about the same output but the horn sounds a lot cleaner.

If you guys think a horn is great in a auto environment please post examples and information on how to build because im crazy enough to do it agian

I'm not trying to bad mouth anyone here or cause controversy, so I don't want to go into too much details about the horn, so ill end this part of the subject for me by saying that it was the ''Auto Tuba'' and about $800 worth of testing for my personal satisfaction.

It was built right.

The wider box will help to hit the low notes better and it does that just fine. I even tried a ten inch driver with the correct parameters and three times the wattage. Same results "for me"

In my home right now two 10'' ported drivers against my one 8'' horn is about the same output but the horn sounds a lot cleaner.

If you guys think a horn is great in a auto environment please post examples and information on how to build because im crazy enough to do it agian

You don't really sound like you know much about the subject.. Your talking about more internal volume here I assume, its common knowledge that bigger boxes "boom" more.

And the fact you won't show us any pics? really, people here are just trying to help.

To answer your original questions I don't think having the port to the outside actually helps unless the design calls for it, like more port area with less internal volume taken up. and yes keep it at least the diameter of the port from a wall

Edited by c.director

It was built right.

One thing though... all the acoustical engineering your talking about, there is some overlap but auto acoustics and acoustics with home and say PA systems but with cars it can be very different. It could have been built right, just not right for a car.

i shook this one kids hand and it just folded in mine. long story short i fucked his girlfriendso.. yeah..

You want this to happen to you? Give decent handshakes people.

I was gifted with an innate ability to distribute wholesale ass beatings in a timely and orderly fashion.

Alot of people here seem to be putting you down..

I appreciate what your trying to say, but i think we would all be a little more convinced if you showed us some specs.

Actual dimensions, pictures, numbers, type of vehicle etc. Give everyone some more information and they will probably (hopefully) have a more serious conversation with you!

obviously working with a car as apposed to home theater is much different, very restricted.

In the end, having an egg/triangle shaped box probably has its advantages... but you cant fit two 15's in an egg shaped box in a car, and for most people, quantity is all thats going to matter.

Look up thorshammer, i think you would appreciate what he has been able to do out of a trunk. however, alot of what he does comes down to an enclosure well suited for his car, and high amounts of power

Edited by JZeFF

Pioneer x930 bt

Rockford t2500 bdcp

18" nightshade v1

DC audio 175.4

RF power T162s up front, infinity 3 way 6x9's in the back (removing rear stage and re-doing doors soon)

3x XS power D2700's

Knukonceptz 0awg all around

Alot of people here seem to be putting you down..

I appreciate what your trying to say, but i think we would all be a little more convinced if you showed us some specs.

Actual dimensions, pictures, numbers, type of vehicle etc. Give everyone some more information and they will probably (hopefully) have a more serious conversation with you!

obviously working with a car as apposed to home theater is much different, very restricted.

In the end, having an egg/triangle shaped box probably has its advantages... but you cant fit two 15's in an egg shaped box in a car, and for most people, quantity is all thats going to matter.

Look up thorshammer, i think you would appreciate what he has been able to do out of a trunk. however, alot of what he does comes down to an enclosure well suited for his car, and high amounts of power

Ill post pics of it once can find a memory card in my house. I would like to remind every one that this post was not to debate horns only. And please don't post rude responses directed at people claiming what they think people may know about especially if they don't sound like they know what there talking about themselves.

Lets please be civil and share knowledge.

The horn was placed in a Pontiac Aztek stock interior and the speaker was only rated at 150w. Tang band w8 740 i believe and the substitute woofer was a ten inch RE SRX in the same box's. Were tested in a 15'' mdf box, 15'' burch and 22'' oak.

I've never seen to date, someone that has given this much information about there testing so im not really sure where you guys are trying to take this. Like I said Ill take some high definition pics with my $1200 camera once I can find a card

Edited by 4thclasspower

I have no idea where you guys are getting off talking about people putting anyone down? I reread the whole section again, and didn't find it. I hate when people are so sensitive and defensive anything not along the lines of, "You're great, you are the best, and are right. Horns are not for cars." is somehow talking trash.

Good luck in the future, I'm not wasting time in here :drinks:

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

So moving forward, has anyone tried cementing a enclosure?

I've noticed that some competitors make use of plexiglass resin to further harden the walls. Out far east like those guys seem to be doing all sorts of crazy things.

yep, steel, concrete, all types of wood, plastic, fiberglass resin, granite, acrylic, and yes even tiles have been done before.

The point in any of that is for a rigid, smooth surface, but using some materials can add an unwanted resonance at certain frequencies so for SPL that can work well, but for SQ not so much.

I use the good ol fiberglass resin/sand/portland cement mixture for a solid, resonant free material.

Oh and also hexagons and octagons have also been widely used with just OK results.

Believe it or not, simple rectangles and squares have performed the best in cars, with some key angle shaping on the interior corners.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion