Second Skin Audio

Port tuning (Ratio Question)

Ok so here we go I got the specs below, this box will house 1 FI SSD 18. tell me what you guys think.

Box dimensions: 6.3Cu.ft.

Width=40in

Depth=16in

Height=21in

My question lies with the port. My port dimensions are as follows; Port height=21in

Port length=29in Port width=3 inches. Will 3 inches be wide enough to allow sufficient port area? Or do I need to go up to 4? Also, I can make the port longer, as long as the ssd 18 is not more than 11 inches deep. Once displacement is accounted for this box will be about 5 cuft. I realize it's too small but I originally built it for 2 RF T1's. So it's more or less a temp setup.

Port is drawn up in the top right

PIC_0109.jpg

Also I know this is a bit off topic but will the SSD break the box firing backwards toward my trunk lid? Or should I turn the box over and fire sub and port up? I know I will get more spl in my car facing backwars, just curious.

Edited by Hondabiker95

Ok so for a SSD 18 Fi recommends this:

Ported box: 6-10 cuft @ 33Hz

Driver displacement for that sub = 0.22 cuft.

Assuming you are giving internal dimensions and with the port you specify your box specs as follows:

Fb = 26,952 Hz

Vb = 6,305 ft^3

Port Area/Vb = 9,993

So you are tuned low and port area is low.

Recommendation is as follows use a double layer baffle, change port width to 4 in, and retune to 33Hz. If you like that I will let you know the size of the pieces of wood you are missing to make the L port.

Assuming you are giving internal dimensions and with the port you specify your box specs as follows:

Fb = 26,952 Hz

Vb = 6,305 ft^3

Port Area/Vb = 9,993

Recommendation is as follows use a double layer baffle, change port width to 4 in, and retune to 33Hz. If you like that I will let you know the size of the pieces of wood you are missing to make the L port.

That sounds perfect to me, although, are you sure about the 26hz? I used the torres calculator and double checked it, comes out to 33hz.

Fb = 26,952 Hz

Vb = 6,305 ft^3

Port Area/Vb = 9,993

That sounds perfect to me, although, are you sure about the 26hz? I used the torres calculator and double checked it, comes out to 33hz.

I just realized my measurments were off, :Doh: the box is 17.5inches tall once the 3/4'' mdf is accounted for.

Also, Bear in mind the port is on the side that is 21inches tall. however, I think i've got it figured out. My box is actually 6.95 cuft. and the port can be 3.7inches wide and 30 inches long :drinks:

Edited by Hondabiker95

Something is wrong - how is the port 21" tall if the box is 21" tall?? The port is 19.5" tall.

Edit - I see you posted while I was calculating.

So is the box 40 x 21 x 19 external?

Edited by bkolfo4

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Fb = 26,952 Hz

Vb = 6,305 ft^3

Port Area/Vb = 9,993

I just realized my measurments were off, :Doh: the box is 17.5inches tall once the 3/4'' mdf is accounted for.

Also, Bear in mind the port is on the side that is 21inches tall. however, I think i've got it figured out. My box is actually 6.95 cuft. and the port can be 3.7inches wide and 30 inches long :drinks:

I think you may be confusing external dimensions and internal dimensions measure the external dimensions on the box (yes add 0.75 to the depth because the baffle is not installed) and then substract 1.5 inches to each one and those are you internal dimensions, the INTERNAL height is the height of the port.

Fb = 26,952 Hz

Vb = 6,305 ft^3

Port Area/Vb = 9,993

I think you may be confusing external dimensions and internal dimensions measure the external dimensions on the box (yes add 0.75 to the depth because the baffle is not installed) and then substract 1.5 inches to each one and those are you internal dimensions, the INTERNAL height is the height of the port.

Sorry for confusing everyone here. It made sense in my head. The 21 inches was the internal height. And the 17.5 is the depth. The height is 22.5 on the outside.

Edited by Hondabiker95