So I have a toshiba satellite series laptop, one of the ones that got re-called a few years back for overheating issues, i've found my way around the overheating issue but right now it's doing something else, when I turn it off or put it in sleep mode it will not come back on, the harddrive and processor turns on but the screen stays off, the only way I can get the screen to turn on is if I hook up my dads computer monitor to my laptops vga output, I wait for the monitor to turn on then my screen turns on, I disconnect it from the monitor and it works fine up until I turn it off then I have to repeat the process, any idea what could be the problem? I feel as if the computer isn't sending the screen the signal to turn on, it's weird, this started happening out of nowhere, didn't drop the computer or anything.

'93 Firebird Formula V8

H/U- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X395

Mids/Highs Amp- Hifonics ZXI80.4

Wiring-KNU RCA's, Speaker Wire, And Two Runs Of Trystar 1/0

G34 Red Top and a 180amp Ford Alternator

www.youtube.com/TRTC360

• 3 months later...

i have seen this problem before with multiple satellites's im not really sure what causes it though. its not a driver issue though. sometimes if you close the laptop and then open it back up it will correct itself otherwias eits like you said you have to plug an external moniter in for it to correct the problem.

HU: Pioneer AVH x5800BHS SP Amp: AQ 120.4 Front SP: Hertz Hsk 165 Rear SP: DD cxs 6.5 SW Amp: Crescendo BC2000d SW 2 DC level 3 12" Electrical: Stock alt for now XS D2400 XS D3400 Knukonceptz Kolossus Second skin damplifier

On 8/8/2012 at 4:50 PM, Brandon15zzz said:

I heard he actually graduated college with a 4.0 gpa. Seems pretty gangster.

On 8/29/2012 at 12:25 AM, ILoveBass21 said:

he could blow a sub powering it with a potato.

There's a little push pin button at the top of the laptop (above the keyboard, under the screen) that controls the screen to be turned on and off.

Sometimes this pin gets stuck down, down means screen off, up means screen on.

The spring gets fatigued or is cheaply put into place.

Whatever the case free the pin so it can go up, if the screen doesn't turn on, several issues can be causing it.

Since it works with the VGA out, it's likely that it's a hardware issue if the pin isn't at fault

09 Civic EX

KDC-X395

(2) SKAR Audio VVX-12

Skar Audio SK-1500.1

4 cu ft @32 (new box and more port soon)

Firing Forward not sealed off

Stock 80 Amp Alt

Big 3 In 1/0 Knu

2 Runs To The Back 1 Pos 1 Neg In 1/0 Knu

DD-1'd 13.8v drop

If you hit FN there should be a key that looks like it has a picture of a monitor on it. Hit FN and press that key twice. I forget what it is on the satalites (they're REALLY bad laptops), but that should cycle the screen and get it back on. Other than that, try doing automatic updates, or a bios update. Or you could just shut it down instead of putting it in sleep mode. Usually bios updates fix sleep mode issues.