Is it necessary to bandpass midrange drivers?

SQMonte

Considering buying an electronic xover and I've found a nice old school piece that will allow me to set highs/mids/subs but doesn't allow bandpassing the mid. Is that that big of a deal?

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

You should new able to high pass with your deck and low pass on the crossover

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

It could affect staging of the higher frequencies if your mids and tweets are apart from eachother. You're doing a 3-way setup?

My tweets are about a foot to foot and a half away from each other and my 3 way is going to be mids/highs/sub.

Should I get these to cut it off on the high end?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-FMOD-2500Hz-Low-Pas-Midrange-Electronic-Crossover-USA-/390329421937?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae1725071#ht_2009wt_1396

yes. as the mids extend into tweet freqs they beam or lose the ability to disperse the sound and it becomes easy to pinpoint the speakers location, which is not wanted at all. it will sound uneven, as if more sound comes from one location.

typical mids beam at 3000-4000hz and higher, thats not set in stone though but its predictable

2500hz@-12db should be fine for a mid low-pass

(a three-way setup is tweet,midrange,midbass)

Edited by Decaf

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

yes. as the mids extend into tweet freqs they beam or lose the ability to disperse the sound and it becomes easy to pinpoint the speakers location, which is not wanted at all. it will sound uneven, as if more sound comes from one location.

typical mids beam at 3000-4000hz and higher, thats not set in stone though but its predictable

2500hz@-12db should be fine for a mid low-pass

(a three-way setup is tweet,midrange,midbass)

Alright, looks like I need to look in to a different xover then. Thanks man

did u ever have your setup active with your pioneer?

and bandpassing mids does make a difference, even with different xover points than cross overs that come with speakers

when i had my polks wired active it sounded killer, couldn't figure out the whole "point scorce/time alignment thing" so it wasn't the best it could be, plus my tweets are to far away from my mids, but it sounded sick

i had my mids crossed over from 80htz-3.5khtz then tweets from 4k up, but with this i had a -12,-6, and pass on the cross over points, if i wanted to do 4'' mids and use the 6&1/2's as sorta a midbass could i just use the tweets with comp set xover and just set it at a lower freq to help pick up the highs?

but ya it does work, if your gunna run active get a 3way xover, i have a coustic xm-6 (heres a link http://www.caraudio.com/forums/miscellaneous-car-audio-classifieds/533973-coustic-xm6-3-way-crossover.html ) it lets u take any run of the mill system and make it active with adjustable tweet setting and lets u bandpass mids and what knot, something like this would be alot easier to bandpass your mids and gives u more flexability than those inline filters

hope this helps

here's a link to my system 99 toyota tacoma , 2 mtx 8000 1504's in a sealed downfire , 1000w memphis amp

here's a link to my other system my 90 geo prizm test car

heres a thread i got of new songs u can dl that are legal = Some Good Bangage/you Can Dl These Free And Legit

redblob.gifbouncing%20blob.gif2yooj7m.pngmodel14.gif

did u ever have your setup active with your pioneer?

and bandpassing mids does make a difference, even with different xover points than cross overs that come with speakers

when i had my polks wired active it sounded killer, couldn't figure out the whole "point scorce/time alignment thing" so it wasn't the best it could be, plus my tweets are to far away from my mids, but it sounded sick

i had my mids crossed over from 80htz-3.5khtz then tweets from 4k up, but with this i had a -12,-6, and pass on the cross over points, if i wanted to do 4'' mids and use the 6&1/2's as sorta a midbass could i just use the tweets with comp set xover and just set it at a lower freq to help pick up the highs?

but ya it does work, if your gunna run active get a 3way xover, i have a coustic xm-6 (heres a link http://www.caraudio....-crossover.html ) it lets u take any run of the mill system and make it active with adjustable tweet setting and lets u bandpass mids and what knot, something like this would be alot easier to bandpass your mids and gives u more flexability than those inline filters

hope this helps

I did, and kinda miss it now (the ability to run active) that i'm mixing and matching my mids/highs. Pioneer has some new active decks coming out and i'm considering getting one but I'll have to get my hands on one to see how it is and go from there, which is why I don't just get the Imprint for this deck and call it good. Your xover points for your mids sounds like what I want to do with mine, but cut it off at about 2.5k-3k on the higher end since my tweets can play down to 2.5k. I seen that xover earlier and it's an option, gonna do some more searching around before I decide what I wanna do