Second Skin Audio

Box for two Obsidian Audio 18s

Port of 3x38x27 has large potential for some epic port noise especially with only 12 sq in per cu ft. I could tell if your 3x38x27 w

Ias WxHxD or HxWxD, but you're going to want a better ratio than 1:12.66

its the best I can do with the space I have. All I can do is 45 the corners and hope for the best.

Then I'd honestly consider getting 15s so that you will be able to fit them in if I were you. Or at least get a few more opinions on this before going ahead with it

I've already ordered the subs. I have plenty of time to screw around with the box design but im sticking with the 18s. My last box I built (when I was a complete newb) had a 5 in by 10 in port in it running two 15s and I never had a problem with port noise. The subs had an xmax of 10mmthe tho. I really want to tune below 30 but if I have to tune to 32 or so it wouldn't be that much of a sacrifice.

1998 Jeep Cherokee

Alpine HU

Crunch Powerone 300.2 mid/highs + AP15001D bass

Soon to be two OA18s

Cadence coax and sony tweets

Big three + All 1/0 wire

Optima Yellow Top

No hating on my ghetto system plz. (Im poor)

Think of it along the lines of aeroports vs slotted ports. Aeroports are suggested as 9-13 sq in of port per cu ft of box, whereas slotted ports are 12-16 sq in per cu ft. That's because since the aeroports are round, they're more efficient. As you make the port longer and narrower it's going to become increasingly inefficient, which is where port noise starts happening.

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

Yeah but 5 in by 10 in port is only a 1:2 ratio. 3x38 is 1:12.66 ratio :peepwall:

Im still kinda new to this port/airvelocity/volume thing so help me out here. What your saying is that its not the overall port area that counts its the ratio of heights to width?

1998 Jeep Cherokee

Alpine HU

Soon to be two OA18s

Big three + All 1/0 wire

Optima Yellow Top

Yeah but 5 in by 10 in port is only a 1:2 ratio. 3x38 is 1:12.66 ratio :peepwall:

Im still kinda new to this port/airvelocity/volume thing so help me out here. What your saying is that its not the overall port area that counts its the ratio of heights to width?

Nono, that's not what I'm saying at all. What I'm trying to say is that both of these matter. Port area per cubic foot can create port noise, but so can too narrow of a port as well.

Ok good. So I have

Nono, that's not what I'm saying at all. What I'm trying to say is that both of these matter. Port area per cubic foot can create port noise, but so can too narrow of a port as well.

Ok good, so I have a big enough port. Now I just need to get the ratio down to... what. What is a good ratio to be at?

1998 Jeep Cherokee

Alpine HU

Soon to be two OA18s

Big three + All 1/0 wire

Optima Yellow Top

Ok good. So I have

Ok good, so I have a big enough port. Now I just need to get the ratio down to... what. What is a good ratio to be at?

I wouldn't say that there's an ideal port ratio (although aeroport would be ideal since it's the most efficient), but the smaller the ratio the better. I'd say probably 1:6 ratio of either width to height or vice-versa would be the max. There's always going to be exceptions, but I'd just try sticking with as small of a ratio you can work with.

Its midnight where im at so ill mess with the designs tomorrow. Thanx for the advice I will definitely take into consideration.

1998 Jeep Cherokee

Alpine HU

Soon to be two OA18s

Big three + All 1/0 wire

Optima Yellow Top

I have Obsidian on my Facebook friends and the guy testing it has one in a 6cuin enclosure in a jeep sup up 6" airport 29hz driver side pulling a 144.4 on almost 1200 watts. He think s the 6inch port sound s more musical than the 8in port he had earlier.

*New vehicle and system coming soon.*