Jump to content

How to know when to use crossovers?


BEEMDUB

Recommended Posts

Posted

I bought a pair of crescendo mp 6.5's. So crossing them at 5,000hz wont hurt them. I just tried to keep name brands out of the equation.

Just having trouble finding a active crossover with a lowpass setting high enough to work for me with a highpass setting to take it on from their.

Something in the lines of lanzar they seem budget friendly. But I'm open to anything that works correct.

mycars.jpg
Posted

I bought a pair of crescendo mp 6.5's. So crossing them at 5,000hz wont hurt them. I just tried to keep name brands out of the equation.

Just having trouble finding a active crossover with a lowpass setting high enough to work for me with a highpass setting to take it on from their.

Something in the lines of lanzar they seem budget friendly. But I'm open to anything that works correct.

I have the same mids, they're rated to play up to 8khz but that doesn't mean they should be run that high. But go ahead and do your thing bro and if you like what you hear then that's all that matters. Me personally, i'm crossing mine at 2.5k - 3.5k, somewhere in there.

Yep, that's exactly what i was talking about above. Most of, if not all, of the xovers I've seen that can go that high are either high pass or can run bandpass. I could be wrong though, i'm not gonna pretend I know the capabilities of all xovers out there.

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

Posted

I bought a pair of crescendo mp 6.5's. So crossing them at 5,000hz wont hurt them. I just tried to keep name brands out of the equation.

Just having trouble finding a active crossover with a lowpass setting high enough to work for me with a highpass setting to take it on from their.

Something in the lines of lanzar they seem budget friendly. But I'm open to anything that works correct.

I have the same mids, they're rated to play up to 8khz but that doesn't mean they should be run that high. But go ahead and do your thing bro and if you like what you hear then that's all that matters. Me personally, i'm crossing mine at 2.5k - 3.5k, somewhere in there.

Yep, that's exactly what i was talking about above. Most of, if not all, of the xovers I've seen that can go that high are either high pass or can run bandpass. I could be wrong though, i'm not gonna pretend I know the capabilities of all xovers out there.

Don't quote me but a rep or someone from crescendo said they will be fine at 5,000 hz even if I can find a crossover point of 4,000 hz. My supertweeters can still handle it from their.

I'm far from a expert myself but been researching a lot with no solid luck. Checkout the lanzar optix6 and opti2b. A second opinion would be helpful

mycars.jpg
Posted

You can use FMOD's for your LPF. Also realize a 12dB slope is NOT a brick wall, so you can LP your mids at 3.5Khz and HP your tweeters at 4Khz. Underlapping is quite common...

While looking up those fmods on another forum they point out the lanzar optix3b in link below it has a lowpass of up to 7,000hz. I'm sure we don't need it to go that high but It works for whatever we want to set it at. Now to save up for it :(

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_14849_Lanzar_OPTIX3B.asp

mycars.jpg
Posted

You can use FMOD's for your LPF. Also realize a 12dB slope is NOT a brick wall, so you can LP your mids at 3.5Khz and HP your tweeters at 4Khz. Underlapping is quite common...

While looking up those fmods on another forum they point out the lanzar optix3b in link below it has a lowpass of up to 7,000hz. I'm sure we don't need it to go that high but It works for whatever we want to set it at. Now to save up for it :(

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_14849_Lanzar_OPTIX3B.asp

Any xover that can run bandpass will have a LP that can go that high, like that one, but I haven't seen one that can't run bandpass with a LP that goes that high. IMO, fmods should only be used as a last resort, they're priced very high and are only good for a single xover point.....with even something like the lanzar xover you posted, you can adjust it as needed and its roughly twice the cost of a pair of fmods.

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

Posted

Thats not exactly true.....when u buy coax speakers, you dont need to use or install a xover cause they already have necessary filters installed to ensure they play the frequencies they're built to play. Thats why coax speakers are so popular, simplifies the install alot.

Now if you piece together your mids and highs like I did and ur mid doesnt have a tweeter on it, you're gonna need a xover. Id suggest either buying a coax set, a component set w/included xover, or an external 3way electronic xover. They also have decks out there that can control this too, the Pioneer P880PRS is one.

Lastly, if you decide to go with an electronic xover, make sure to get one that will allow you to bandpass your mids.

I said you have a crossover on every speaker. Coax's have one built in. and you would want a HP filter on them also in just about all cases.

Based on his question it seemed to me he was asking when a xover needed to be added, as in passive or electronic....if ur speaker has one built in you arent adding one since its already there....but in the sense you interpreted the question you're right.

Ahh i see ...one more thing I wanted to ask too... I know a bandpass is kind of a mixture of a high and low pass filter in one what exactly is the advantage of having one?

The advantage is being able to have total control over the frequencies the mids play. Most xovers control the point at which they cut off on the upper end but not the lower. So lets say your subs are crossed at 100Hz, you wouldnt want ur mids playing down to 60Hz since thats well within the range you want your subs playing. You'd want the mids to pick up where the subs leave off and play up to where your highs pick up.

So if i got some pa mids and tweeters would the electronic crossover go before or after the amp ? and this would be active correct?

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee LaredoPioneer AVH- 3200DVD2/0 Flex-A-Prene Welding Cable

(2) Fully Loaded Fi Sp4's dual 1-------> My YouTube Channel <-------

Needs more power those woofers will laugh at that turd

Posted

So if i got some pa mids and tweeters would the electronic crossover go before or after the amp ? and this would be active correct?

Regardless of what mids and highs you get, the electronic xover would go between the deck and amp and it would be active.

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

Posted

my point is still correct, and its not a ghetto way of doing it. these cheap crossovers dont usually give you an option for slope anyways so worrying about that seems pointless. but if product availability is the problem, fine. i dont deal with or pay attention to the cheap crossovers so i didnt know they had such limitations across the board. i use a processor :pardon:

could have just said "ya, but they dont make 2 way crossovers with a LP that high" in the beginning and saved a lot of time lol.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Posted

my point is still correct, and its not a ghetto way of doing it. these cheap crossovers dont usually give you an option for slope anyways so worrying about that seems pointless. but if product availability is the problem, fine. i dont deal with or pay attention to the cheap crossovers so i didnt know they had such limitations across the board. i use a processor :pardon:

could have just said "ya, but they dont make 2 way crossovers with a LP that high" in the beginning and saved a lot of time lol.

IMO, using a xover than can run the mids bandpass is a much more practical and less ghetto/bootleg way than what you suggested, but we don't have to agree on that. Right, they don't give you an option for slope cause most people who use them don't try to run some bootleg bandpass arrangement like you suggested so it's a non-issue.

So you're shooting down my advice and giving your own when you don't even know if the product can accomplish the task? That's pretty cool. Not sure why you felt the need to tell me what you use since it's not relevant to the topic of discussion, but :goyou:

If I knew for a fact there aren't any 2 way xovers with a LP that go up that high I would have said that. But seeing as how I stated

Most of, if not all, of the xovers I've seen that can go that high are either high pass or can run bandpass. I could be wrong though, i'm not gonna pretend I know the capabilities of all xovers out there.
it's clear I don't know that to be true for all 2 way xovers and I'm not one to speak on something as if it's the gospel unless I know it to be....you should try it sometime ;)

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1025 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...