How to know when to use crossovers?

BEEMDUB

If they don't have built in crossovers or if your amp doesn't have one.

Thats not exactly true.....when u buy coax speakers, you dont need to use or install a xover cause they already have necessary filters installed to ensure they play the frequencies they're built to play. Thats why coax speakers are so popular, simplifies the install alot.

Now if you piece together your mids and highs like I did and ur mid doesnt have a tweeter on it, you're gonna need a xover. Id suggest either buying a coax set, a component set w/included xover, or an external 3way electronic xover. They also have decks out there that can control this too, the Pioneer P880PRS is one.

Lastly, if you decide to go with an electronic xover, make sure to get one that will allow you to bandpass your mids.

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

Thats not exactly true.....when u buy coax speakers, you dont need to use or install a xover cause they already have necessary filters installed to ensure they play the frequencies they're built to play. Thats why coax speakers are so popular, simplifies the install alot.

Now if you piece together your mids and highs like I did and ur mid doesnt have a tweeter on it, you're gonna need a xover. Id suggest either buying a coax set, a component set w/included xover, or an external 3way electronic xover. They also have decks out there that can control this too, the Pioneer P880PRS is one.

Lastly, if you decide to go with an electronic xover, make sure to get one that will allow you to bandpass your mids.

Ahh i see ...one more thing I wanted to ask too... I know a bandpass is kind of a mixture of a high and low pass filter in one what exactly is the advantage of having one?

I said you have a crossover on every speaker. Coax's have one built in. and you would want a HP filter on them also in just about all cases.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

I said you have a crossover on every speaker. Coax's have one built in. and you would want a HP filter on them also in just about all cases.

Based on his question it seemed to me he was asking when a xover needed to be added, as in passive or electronic....if ur speaker has one built in you arent adding one since its already there....but in the sense you interpreted the question you're right.

Ahh i see ...one more thing I wanted to ask too... I know a bandpass is kind of a mixture of a high and low pass filter in one what exactly is the advantage of having one?

The advantage is being able to have total control over the frequencies the mids play. Most xovers control the point at which they cut off on the upper end but not the lower. So lets say your subs are crossed at 100Hz, you wouldnt want ur mids playing down to 60Hz since thats well within the range you want your subs playing. You'd want the mids to pick up where the subs leave off and play up to where your highs pick up.

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

Based on his question it seemed to me he was asking when a xover needed to be added, as in passive or electronic....if ur speaker has one built in you arent adding one since its already there....but in the sense you interpreted the question you're right.

The advantage is being able to have total control over the frequencies the mids play. Most xovers control the point at which they cut off on the upper end but not the lower. So lets say your subs are crossed at 100Hz, you wouldnt want ur mids playing down to 60Hz since thats well within the range you want your subs playing. You'd want the mids to pick up where the subs leave off and play up to where your highs pick up.

Ok I see so a bandpass xover is necessary for mids and mids are like the 6x9s and 6.5s right?

Archived