system with no midbass.. only midRANGE?

New2Dis

i have a noob question,, will a system sound bad if it doesnt have any midbass driver from 70hz - 120hz , ill only have midranges from like 120 hz and above. wut sounds are played at 70 hz -120 hz(drums, deep voices?) if it matters i listen to rap, techno, dubstep. bear with me im a newbie lol

"Damned if i do, damned if i don't..."Sold to: RodeoSport, deeppinkdiver, kevosinn, CortezDTV

Bought from: SlamminBeats, Carboardcat15

The answer depends on whether you're going to use a sub or not. Midrange is made to play at higher frequencies, which would be best for blending with your tweeters. Midbass plays lower, but is likely to not blend with your tweeters as well.

98 Isuzu Rodeo
Pioneer Deh-6300ub
SUBS
​*Upcoming* SSA Xcon 18 4th order
AMP
​Banda 3500
Mids/Highs
Pioneer
EQ
Clarion EQS746
ETC.
Two 1/0 run's
KnuKoncepts 1/0 big 3
Shuriken BT-100 under the hood
Shuriken BT-120 in the back

It's not that it will sound bad but you will notice that it doesn't extend down low with authority and can seem shallow if you don't have sub bass, for me i prefer to set-up my system to play from 50hz on up cause i'm a bass head and love my low midbass cause to me that's where the magic in music happens. Plus at this point in time in sub less so i need all the low end i can get out of a set of comps.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

yes subs will be used,, considering sum beymas 6.5's from audiosavings.com or b & c midranges from partsexpress.com ,,, oh i get it skullz hmmmm the thing here is the midbasses that play lower hz have lower db ratings and im looking for absolute loudest the above beyma and b & c speakers are 100 and 99 db rated,,, but it wont sound THAT weird if i have subs right? ,, would it be a bad idea to run midbass in the rear and in the front doors the midranges?

"Damned if i do, damned if i don't..."Sold to: RodeoSport, deeppinkdiver, kevosinn, CortezDTV

yes subs will be used,, considering sum beymas 6.5's from audiosavings.com or b & c midranges from partsexpress.com ,,, oh i get it skullz hmmmm the thing here is the midbasses that play lower hz have lower db ratings and im looking for absolute loudest the above beyma and b & c speakers are 100 and 99 db rated,,, but it wont sound THAT weird if i have subs right? ,, would it be a bad idea to run midbass in the rear and in the front doors the midranges?

You want to try to match the efficiency of your speakers together. This will create an even volume across the freq. range. You can also do this by adjusting the gains accordingly. You can run a midbass in the rear door providing you don't go much higher than 500 hz. Sound becomes localized (meaning your ears can tell where it is coming from) around 600hz If you can put them together midrange/midbass. you might have better results. I'm biased though. I haven't had rear speakers in a car in like forever :P

You mentioned some play lower that are less efficient which is true due to the build of the driver, xmax, etc. but what you should look at is the freq. response. Some PA drivers wont play as low but they may play the freq. louder as they roll off. Most mids are 87-90 db efficient while PA drivers are sometimes 10db more than that. With a higher sensitivity driver it rolls off but will play it louder as it drops than a conventional driver. (In most cases) They trick is to find a driver with a suitable Fs and go from there.

What tweeter are you using to match up with these?

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

You want to try to match the efficiency of your speakers together. This will create an even volume across the freq. range. You can also do this by adjusting the gains accordingly. You can run a midbass in the rear door providing you don't go much higher than 500 hz. Sound becomes localized (meaning your ears can tell where it is coming from) around 600hz If you can put them together midrange/midbass. you might have better results. I'm biased though. I haven't had rear speakers in a car in like forever :P

You mentioned some play lower that are less efficient which is true due to the build of the driver, xmax, etc. but what you should look at is the freq. response. Some PA drivers wont play as low but they may play the freq. louder as they roll off. Most mids are 87-90 db efficient while PA drivers are sometimes 10db more than that. With a higher sensitivity driver it rolls off but will play it louder as it drops than a conventional driver. (In most cases) They trick is to find a driver with a suitable Fs and go from there.

What tweeter are you using to match up with these?

for tweeter i was thinking of a pair beymas since i heard they were really clear, open to sum suggestions also the midbass drivers im about to order are 91 db , and the midranges are 99db, and sum smaller 3" midranges are 85 db (just to put in stock hole/fill fill sound) im putting two of these 3" in the dash and two in the front doors

Archived