Second Skin Audio

fiberglass enclosure question.

i would just use 3/4 birch as a base. its strong and a whole lot cheaper than glassing an entire trunk

why in the hell would you use birch? its more expensive then MDF iirc lol, and 3/4" thick glass? your crazy dude, thats gunna be a 5 gal. bucket if your doing the whole trunk

Legal TL scores145.6 on the dash sealed up in the low 40hz area with the port out145.5 on the dash sealed up @30hz with the port inless then 1k clamped on a 3.5k!

Why would you EVER WANT flex?
huh?...flex is what can make the lows lower and more air being pushed correct?
jeff_zps9bc81ace.jpg

me_zps0fb5a5b4.jpgMy FeedbackJeep-BuildlogPT LOSER buildlog

Birch is two times Stronger, you have to use like 1 1/2 mdf to equal 3/4 birch

Duel Sa-8 V.2 D2 Sub Enclosure

2001 Pontiac Grand am

• Head Unit - OEM
  • Processor - RF 3sixty.2
  • Subs - RE Audio SXX12D4
  • Amplifier - Kicker ZX1000.1
  • Mids & Highs- Rockford Fosgate Power T2652-S
  • Rockford Fosgate Power T1693
  • Mids & Highs Amp - Rockford Fosgate Power T400-4
  • Wiring - 1/0 AWG, 4 AWG, 8 AWG
  • Alternator - Stock
  • Batteries - non ext
  • Box- Absolute PSEB12BK

is 3/4 too much? whats reasonable? the guy i talked to at the audio store told me atleast 3/4 in thick glass or the pressure of the sub will blow it apart? he sounded kinda professional but then again he could have been an idiot.

yeah thats excessive..... depending on the equipment you plan on running, iirc, 1/4" thick was damn strong.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

• 2 months later...

Some people say 1/4" fiberglass = 3/4 mdf, I have heard its 3/8". I saw on an old forum here a guy braced fiberglass with cut sections of rope saturated with resin to create more curves inside the box. I made a set of all fiberglass enclosures for my truck they turned out well and now im working on a giant box for my chevelle so I can mold it to the floor and trunk dimensions. It is friggin expensive though, im guessing 10 gallons of resin and as much as a couple hundred yards of thin mat. I think they build the base from wood because its much easier and cheaper.