Sundown Audio

Could my amp be crapping out?

Alright, so I posted on Friday night in the Subwoofer forum about my "blown sub(s)". I just went over my friends house today to pick up a screwdriver to check them out, and then had the bright idea to free air them when they were out. They worked perfectly fine. I was driving back to my dorm when something started crapping out again.

Now I'm starting to believe that my MTX RTP251D Amplifier that I've had for 5 or so years is just crapping out after years of abuse. Could this be what my problem is? It's only recently started happening, and I'm not paying the noobs at Best Buy $80/hour to check out my system - yes, I went and tried asking if I could get any help earlier and they said I'd have to pay. So after saying fudge that, I went to drive back home and didn't have any problems AT ALL with my system for the entire half hour or so drive. I wasn't listening to anything with low bass on that drive back home, it was all 43+Hz. When it started cutting out earlier, I was listening to some Psyph (Fresh On You + I'm The Shit) so I'm also wondering if lower notes could be stressing my old amp to the point of eventually crapping out.

Any help I can get with this is much appreciated, thanks!

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

whats your budget, we may be able to find more power for the price.

Jeep Cherokee 4dr -4.75 in front, new rusty's 4.5 in rear leafs -micky thompson 35x14.50x15 -locker rear -Rusty's offroad Engine/transmission/transfer case/crossmember/gas tank skid plates -Warn front bumper with 8000lb winch -Custom rear bumper -Warrior product tube doors (summertime) -Optima redtop (starter) -26XK miles and still runs like a bat out of hell

Kenwood H/U

1/0 wire,

136 amp alt 200 ah batteries 12.7 daily

2 Apsm 1500 @ 2 ohm strapped on zv3 d1 with ns softparts

Mb quart 125.4 wired to 4 aura 6's

3.6 cube box tuned to 36 plays down to 23hz

*Got done typing the below portion and then realized my original question hadn't been answered. Does my problem most likely mean that my amp has just crapped out after all these years?

I've got just over $300 cash at the moment, tip money FTW! But it'd be an amp just for my 2 Kicker Comp 12s, I am hoping to do a massive upgrade this summer (2 18" SP4's + a DC 5.0k amp in a wall). So I'm not looking to go all out right now, just something to give me bass for the time being. I've also read before that you can use an A/B (I'm guessing a mids/highs amp) to power your subs as well, but not a D (lows) amp to power your highs.

If ^this is the case, then would I just be able to buy a 300 or so watt A/B amp for the time being to power the subs and then switch it to mids/highs later on?

I don't mean to sound impatient/pushy, I really do appreciate the input so far...but would somebody please give me input on whether or not they think it's my amp that's crapping out? The subs seem to work perfectly fine still, just wanting to narrow down the problem to what it actually is so that I can have it fixed asap. I miss my dependable bass ='(

I don't mean to sound impatient/pushy, I really do appreciate the input so far...but would somebody please give me input on whether or not they think it's my amp that's crapping out? The subs seem to work perfectly fine still, just wanting to narrow down the problem to what it actually is so that I can have it fixed asap. I miss my dependable bass ='(

try some subs that you KNOW are good. see if it still does it.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

I would double check all your grounds before I bought a new amp..

I'm assuming this means to check all wires hooked up to my amp? Sorry, I'm not too familiar with the electrical side of things, that's one of the things that my dad hooked up (basically so I don't screw it up). And if it does mean taking a look at the wires or more specifically the ground wire running from the amp to the...battery? then what would I be looking for?

try some subs that you KNOW are good. see if it still does it.

That's the thing, I don't have any spare subs/amps to play around with nor do I know of anybody who does. And I'm almost positive after today that my subs work perfectly fine since they played great. I do suppose that a wire or something like that could cause it to cut in/out right?