Need Your Opinions On A Cheap Suv

Ive heard on many occasions that the v8 grand cherokees are nothing but problems. My dad hated his when he had it. I have a 96 GC and love it but it has the L6 engine. Whatever you get, good luck. BTW Where do you live, because here in FL jeeps are cheap but in NY they go for like 6000!

only reason i want to get another one is cause mines been running strong for 12 years without any issues cept till now have a coolant leak somewhere and the garage cant find it so the whole cooling system needs to be replaced.

6k seems a bit much considering how many miles it has on it. but hell...if yours held out to 250k miles then damn...you got another 120k to go and in that case it'd be a good buy. but just as long as he didnt have that many problems with it

Yeah thats what I figured amalon...If your looking for the exclusivity of having that, do it you probably won't find one in that good of condition... that were a 99 body style I'd do it but the body style of the pre 99 is now outdated to me. So I couldn't drive one. To me the 99-04's still look good even compared to the 05 and ups but the 98 and older look too dated. As long as your hanging onto it and not planning on selling I'd jump on it as it will hold special value to you but to the next person that 5.9 just means less gas mileage more expensive repairs and the list goes on and on to someone you'd potentially be selling that to.

In my case I'd be looking for something with less mileage, still luxurious, lots of features and lastly better gas mileage! I bet that thing snorts the gas! Quickness comes at a cost I'm sure! You can say you won't always drive it hard but keep in mind those magnum v8's have a nice throaty sound to them that always wants you abusing that gas pedal! When I drove my boss's ram with the hemi I couldn't stay off the gas pedal...well the brake as well though so I could keep accelerating and making the tires spin and hear that lovely exhaust...best part was I didn't have to worry about that good ole Chrysler reliability!

Talk him down to 5k and tell him the reason is now you have to spend more money on a warranty to cover the thing because of the mileage and future problems you are going to have! Should be able to get a powertrain warranty from someone for a few years 30k+ miles for relatively cheap and that way it covers the vitals...motor, tranny and drivetrain whether that is awd or 4 wd

Edited by aquill1

6k seems a bit much considering how many miles it has on it. but hell...if yours held out to 250k miles then damn...you got another 120k to go and in that case it'd be a good buy. but just as long as he didnt have that many problems with it

no problems and he always filled it with premium never cheated and used unleaded.

Yeah thats what I figured amalon...If your looking for the exclusivity of having that, do it you probably won't find one in that good of condition... that were a 99 body style I'd do it but the body style of the pre 99 is now outdated to me. So I couldn't drive one. To me the 99-04's still look good even compared to the 05 and ups but the 98 and older look too dated. As long as your hanging onto it and not planning on selling I'd jump on it as it will hold special value to you but to the next person that 5.9 just means less gas mileage more expensive repairs and the list goes on and on to someone you'd potentially be selling that to.

In my case I'd be looking for something with less mileage, still luxurious, lots of features and lastly better gas mileage! I bet that thing snorts the gas! Quickness comes at a cost I'm sure! You can say you won't always drive it hard but keep in mind those magnum v8's have a nice throaty sound to them that always wants you abusing that gas pedal! When I drove my boss's ram with the hemi I couldn't stay off the gas pedal...well the brake as well though so I could keep accelerating and making the tires spin and hear that lovely exhaust...best part was I didn't have to worry about that good ole Chrysler reliability!

Talk him down to 5k and tell him the reason is now you have to spend more money on a warranty to cover the thing because of the mileage and future problems you are going to have! Should be able to get a powertrain warranty from someone for a few years 30k+ miles for relatively cheap and that way it covers the vitals...motor, tranny and drivetrain whether that is awd or 4 wd

of course ill drive it hard lol i probably wont get off the pedal. im not going to sell this if i buy it so i dont care about figuring out how to sell it if i buy it. i dont see whats wrong with driving a "outdated" model... its the best model jeep they have created imo. i really doubt youll find anything close to as luxurious as this without having to spend a lot on a new car. nismofreak has heard me rant on about how many luxury features my 96 jeep has. it snorts gas like nothing else i mean its a 5.9L V8 taking premium gas on a 25 gallon tank. imo this is a true suv.

6 grand on a vehicle that sucks gas, is almost 10 years old, and has 120,000 miles on it, i'd rethink my options imo

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not

you havent lived until you've hit a screw with a router.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_...amp;cardist=200

No pics but im sure if you emailed them you could get pics

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not

you havent lived until you've hit a screw with a router.

See everyone is saying the same thing...I'm with ya man...I'm just not into that older jeep now because of the newer one...a close friend had a 95 g cherokee laredo with the infinity sound and she swore she'd never get rid of it...I thought it was nice but I now like the newer ones because of the sleeker looks...I didn't say it wasn't luxurious the front end just looks dated thats all...the car inside looks extremely similar to the 99 I worked on...Remember working on his almost made me want one! I'm telling you its like looking into his when I saw the pics of that one you want. ; ) I looked for a couple of weeks! But than noticed that for a 250/month 48 month loan I could drive a 02-03 mercury mountaineer and seat 7 people in it...we have different takes on it...I understand why you want that one at least which nobody on here gets...right?

Just be weary when a deal seems to good like the link above...it sounds like you've done your homework and have no problem spending 6k on that one so I'd say a nice shape one goes for taht... that one has less mileage but at least the other one you know who owned it and how he supposedly took care of it vs. some mom and pop dealer that just threw wood shavings in the oil! ; 0

Try showing that guy that ad and tell him you'll pay him 4800!

Edited by aquill1

See everyone is saying the same thing...I'm with ya man...I'm just not into that older jeep now because of the newer one...a close friend had a 95 g cherokee laredo with the infinity sound and she swore she'd never get rid of it...I thought it was nice but I now like the newer ones because of the sleeker looks...I didn't say it wasn't luxurious the front end just looks dated thats all...the car inside looks extremely similar to the 99 I worked on...Remember working on his almost made me want one! I'm telling you its like looking into his when I saw the pics of that one you want. ; ) I looked for a couple of weeks! But than noticed that for a 250/month 48 month loan I could drive a 02-03 mercury mountaineer and seat 7 people in it...we have different takes on it...I understand why you want that one at least which nobody on here gets...right?

Just be weary when a deal seems to good like the link above...it sounds like you've done your homework and have no problem spending 6k on that one so I'd say a nice shape one goes for taht... that one has less mileage but at least the other one you know who owned it and how he supposedly took care of it vs. some mom and pop dealer that just threw wood shavings in the oil! ; 0

Try showing that guy that ad and tell him you'll pay him 4800!

everyone is titled to their own opinions i dont like the 1999 model design nor do i like the new design either. i dunno why but im in love with this body style.

i already tried showing him a cheap one

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_...superSpotlight=

and i said i was thinking more along the lines of 4500 but since you have a few aftermarket mods how does 4800 sound he said no and the other one is a good deal if its in good condition and i should get that one. so he seems kinda firm with the price.

honestly this is probably the best JEEP out there for the money. im not interested in going cheaper and getting a worse condition one. i want to pay the extra for a flawless condition 5.9L.