Truck has gone through 2 alts in 2 weeks wtf??

So I had my Boss 150a alt go out, about a month ago, it would start to charge then stop. start to charge then stop. So I sent it to my alt guy in sacramento and he took it appart and everything looked fine, so he just cleaned every component and put it back together. I rocked that for another 2 weeks with no problems, then it randomly stopped charging all together, so I sent it back to the alt guy.

While my alt was there, I pulled my mechman out of my s10 (it was a large case for fullsize chevys, and I made my own brackets for the S10 years ago) and I had it in the truck with no problems, then that one stopped charging a week later... WTF?? I rocked that alt in my s10 for about 2 years straight with no problems.

So the boss alt has an internal regulator, and the oem plug goes right in. The mechman is externally regulated, so I put it at 14.7.

Why is my truck going through alts?? Is this just random bad luck or is there something wrong?? Alignment was perfect on both alts, same size pulleys on both alts. If you saw my earlier thread from a while ago i couldnt get a lonng loud squeal to go away, so i replaced the tensioner, idler pulley, an oem belt, my water pump, checked alignment of ALL pulleys, then i found that the alt was off by half a rib. that made the squeal go away ALOT, but it still chirped. then I bought a belt that was 1/2 shorter and its been quiet since. That half inch of a belt could have caused this right?Im stumped I dont know whats wrong. hella people on here have H/O alts on chevys, but what the hell is going on with my truck???

Gary 'Numatik' Eberle

West Sacramento, California

Vehicle build log (1) 'Aayla' Numatik's one and only, bodydropped pasted the doors Chevy S-20 Ext-Ext cab. This project ended after a horrible horrible motorcycle accident. There are so many mods it would fill an entire page in my sig. Check it out if you have A LOT of time to kill. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/39785-numatiks-doored-s-20-bodydropped-on-doors-ext-ext-cab-10-subs-full-frame-build/?hl=%20numatik#39;s

Vehicle build log (2) 'Snow White' Daily/showstopper 2004 Chevy Silverado

Lays on 22s soon for 26s to run a beefy tire on 4s (4) 5gal tanks, (3)AZOB2 pumps, Slam digital stealth two speed valves with 16 solenoids, Slam SS bags all around, ART upper and lower arms, KP Components 6-link, KP Components watts link, Panther juice 6 22s, Spikes EVERYWHERE. 3,600WRMS total, (5) Kicker amps, (2) L7 15s under raised back seats, 15" screen molded to dash, 36 speakers total all Mb Quartz and Fosgate. Fiberglass console with removable face plates and arm rests, flushed speakers, lots of toggle switches, Playstation 2, rear view camera, Suede and leather seats, suede headliner, Dakota Digital air gauges, voltage gauges, and current draw gauges. (2) XS Power 4800 batteries, Whole truck is flat black and white and the

ENTIRE truck is fully pin striped by TJ Pagano here in Sacramento.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/123328-numatiks-bagged-2004-silverado/

smdsig1.png

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I am proof" - Numatik

Bad Juju

Don't have a clue, maybe just random bad luck with the way things go sometimes. If they were both brand new alts i would think something is up but since they are both used and older it's just that maybe it was just time on both.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

I'd say it's not a coincidence that the same truck chewed up too seemingly perfectly working alts and if your pulleys were the same on both trucks I'd say it must be something in how your wiring them..did you ground them correctly? And what battery(s) are you running it too?

Bad Juju

Don't have a clue, maybe just random bad luck with the way things go sometimes. If they were both brand new alts i would think something is up but since they are both used and older it's just that maybe it was just time on both.

Yeah im scratching my head too...Its possible cause this week has been nothing but bad news. ugh

I'd say it's not a coincidence that the same truck chewed up too seemingly perfectly working alts and if your pulleys were the same on both trucks I'd say it must be something in how your wiring them..did you ground them correctly? And what battery(s) are you running it too?

The first alt was internally regulated and the oem plug would go right in. The second alt was externally regulated and I set it to charge at 14.7 and I didnt plug the plug in because it was a different shape then my trucks plug. It is annoying with that alt having the cluster pop up "battery not charging" every 10 seconds and you can see right next to it on the actual oem voltage gauge shows that the charging is normal. I have 2 Kinetik 1400s under the bed, wired with 1/0 and 1/0 grounds as well. I put my intellicharger on them earlier and im gonna let them charge then float overnight.

Gary 'Numatik' Eberle

West Sacramento, California

Vehicle build log (1) 'Aayla' Numatik's one and only, bodydropped pasted the doors Chevy S-20 Ext-Ext cab. This project ended after a horrible horrible motorcycle accident. There are so many mods it would fill an entire page in my sig. Check it out if you have A LOT of time to kill. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/39785-numatiks-doored-s-20-bodydropped-on-doors-ext-ext-cab-10-subs-full-frame-build/?hl=%20numatik#39;s

Vehicle build log (2) 'Snow White' Daily/showstopper 2004 Chevy Silverado

Lays on 22s soon for 26s to run a beefy tire on 4s (4) 5gal tanks, (3)AZOB2 pumps, Slam digital stealth two speed valves with 16 solenoids, Slam SS bags all around, ART upper and lower arms, KP Components 6-link, KP Components watts link, Panther juice 6 22s, Spikes EVERYWHERE. 3,600WRMS total, (5) Kicker amps, (2) L7 15s under raised back seats, 15" screen molded to dash, 36 speakers total all Mb Quartz and Fosgate. Fiberglass console with removable face plates and arm rests, flushed speakers, lots of toggle switches, Playstation 2, rear view camera, Suede and leather seats, suede headliner, Dakota Digital air gauges, voltage gauges, and current draw gauges. (2) XS Power 4800 batteries, Whole truck is flat black and white and the

ENTIRE truck is fully pin striped by TJ Pagano here in Sacramento.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/123328-numatiks-bagged-2004-silverado/

smdsig1.png

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I am proof" - Numatik

Archived