Second Skin Audio

1999 Camry Xle v6 - 2012 Build - Second Skin Damp Pro

1999 Camry Xle v6 - 2012 Upgrades

The list:

- 30sq/ft SS Damp Pro to doors.

- Kenwood KDC-x895

- Hybrid Audio Unity 6.5’’ components

Summary:

Day 1 – I pretty much spent the entire day inside my garage.

- Took my door panels apart and cleaned everything with IPA and water.

- Had trouble removing the old Fat Mat.

- Applied 13.5sq/ft (about 8 sheets) of Second Skin Damplifier Pro to driver door.

- Can’t put speaker in just yet until I get my new speaker adapter.

Review on SS Damp Pro: I will write a full review with music in a few weeks once I get my speakers in. I did knock on the outside of my driver door and passenger door and compared. The driver door sounds pretty solid like the trunk lid of my car when I applied Great Stuff Foam in between (very heavy). I’m pretty impressed so far. The passenger door (no SS Damp Pro yet) sounds hallow with echoes.

Day 2 – Did the same for passenger door except this time used bigger pieces inside the door. I still had to use small pieces for the outter door though. It took about 3 hours this time. Link to pics: http://www.stevemead...ost__p__1895905

Day 3 - DLS MS6A speakers have been added into the door. Here

Day 4 - I will update videos of my doors and speakers in this post.

My final thoughts on SS Damp Pro: Here

The build:

Day 1:

I received my package today: 30sq/ft of Second Skin Damplifier Pro B-Stock.

Link to Product: http://secondskinaud...plifier-pro.php

Pictures:

IMG_0181.JPG

IMG_0182.JPG

IMG_0184.JPG

Spent about 30 minutes opening up my door panel.

IMG_0186.JPG

IMG_0189.JPG

IMG_0190.JPG

The freaken MDF Baffle I was using broke off…

IMG_0192.JPG

IMG_0195.JPG

I can’t cut myself a new one because I don’t have any tools so I went to eDesignAudio.com and placed an order for one here:

http://www.edesignau...&products_id=76

It’s too bad this company’s focus is no longer car audio because their customer service will always be at the top.

Applied SS Damp Pro inside the door.

IMG_0198.JPG

IMG_0200.JPG

IMG_0202.JPG

IMG_0206.JPG

Nine hours later…

I got side tracked and surf the net when I was doing this… but if I had to guess how long it took for all this on door #1, I’d say about 6 hours. Most of the time spent was cleaning inside of the door with IPA and removing old Fat Mat sound deadening material.

IMG_0207.JPG

Won’t be able to add the speaker in until end of next week when I get my Speaker Bracket converter.

Final thoughts:

I'll probably just apply SS Damp Pro over the old Fat Mat for my passenger door to save time removing it.

Instead of using small pieces like in the Driver Door, I'll probably use bigger pieces to save time in the passenger door.

Each of my doors will gain +10lbs... wow!

Stay tuned for more updates!

Edited by moh.vze.com

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

• 2 weeks later...

I contacted eDesignAudio.com to get some 6 3/4" to 6.5" convertors and receiveed really nicely made ones. It's too bad their main focus is no longer in the Car Audio realm because their customer service will always be #1 on my list.

IMG_0252.JPG

I applied some Second Skin Audio Damp Pro deadening to the baffle hoping it will prevent rain from getting it wet.

deaden_baffle.JPG

Speaker is now in the door!

dls_ms6a_door.JPG

Left door:

left_door_dls_ms6a.JPG

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

Video 1:

Video 2:

Video 3: I will record another video another time with subs off.

Well, it looks like I'll need to record another video with my bass from subs off because it distorts my camera :(

By the way, that's my new Headunit (Kenwood X895) that I purchased from AudioSavings.com

Another note: I am aware that my Stinger Volt Meter is just danglng lol! I will fix that at another time.

I will add more videos here later. I will also be swaping my DLS MS6A out and put in the Hybrid Audio Unity's also at a later time after I give these a listen with my new dampen doors.

Edited by moh.vze.com

I will dedicate this post page right here for the review that I will right at a later time after some more listening :)

My thoughts so far of SS Damp Pro that I've applied to the doors.

The DLS MS6A's sounds a lot louder and with no distortion after I applied the SS Damp Pro. I'm not sure if it's the re-tuning of my gains that made the music sound louder and deeper or the dampening of the doors that did that, but I'm shocked by how good everything sounds now. I'll give it some more listen with different types of music later and add some more thoughts later.

One thing I've noticed with my front stage now is everything sounds better if I move my body more towards the middle when I'm driving. My regular sitting position is my seat all the way down and back. When I'm listening at full tilt, I've noticed that my right speaker is not as alive unless I move my body towards the middle. I guess this is a problem when using stock locations for the speakers? Or maybe I should fade the left down a bit so the volume is even?

Edited by moh.vze.com

Yeah I think what you are experiencing is the issue with using the stock speaker location. I'd definitely try to fade the left a little bit and see if it evens out.

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png

Jon, I need your help ~_~

http://www.stevemead...inside-my-door/

Is there really holes at the bottom inside of my door panel that acts as a drain for rain that gets inside? First of all, is it normal to get rain inside the door?

Edited by moh.vze.com

TYPICALLY there are holes or slits at the bottom of door panels to allow for moisture and water to drain out in the eventuality that water does get in.

Is it normal to get water inside? Yes, but only a small amount.

I'm fairly certain your Camry has drain holes. If you can, get a picture of the bottom of your door and I can point them out. Car makers have gotten better at hiding them so they aren't as noticeable. If you've gone over the holes with the Damplifier Pro you can either poke a hole through the material to allow the water to drain normally OR just cut a small 1/2" square from the DP.

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png