Making a tough call sucks. I decided for shits and giggles to look up how much it would be to re register my truck that has been sitting for about 2 and half years. Surprisingly it's only 166 dollars for registration (welcome to California). Have to get it smoged since it's and 1986 f150 (if it wasn't for Arnold and reversing the 25 year rule I wouldn't have to smog it) I have to smog it. Last time I had it smog it barely passed, I mean barely. Limit was 330ppm for Hc and my truck 'blew' a 329. So that means I possibly need new catalytic converters. This truck has 2 of them and since it's a cali vehicle, needs CARB approved ones. I found them for around 85 bucks a pop and should be a direct bolt up replacement.

So figure with registration, catalytic converters, and smog I will be looking at it costing me about 450 bucks or so to get her back on the road.

I just don't know if the pros out weigh the cons.

Pros I can see:

1. Gives me a second vehicle to drive if I can't get my main daily up and running if I'm doing work to it (06 jetta)

2. Allows gets my truck out of the garage and gives more room inside it to do stuff.

3. Allows me to let my mom use my car (jetta) in case her truck (expedition) ever brakes down and can't get it fixed right away.

Cons I can see:

1. 450 or so bucks out of my pocket for other things to help out on around the house (I live at home and pay rent since my step-dad is currently unemployed)

2. Doesn't get the best gas mileage in the world if I was to have to use it for work

3. Replacing the cats might not due anything and still won't pass smog.

I just don't know what to do. Still trying to decide if I should do it or not. What y'all think?

formerly known as Blue86f150

its a 4th order just because its tuned in the 40z doesnt mean it wont reach down and jiggle your balls at sub 30 hz frequencies.

Regardless if they were dipped platinum and were stuffed in Beyonce's twat.....way too fucking exspensive

this sux camel dicks

I say do it. I love old trucks! I'm driving a 95 Chevy 3/4 ton excab 4x4 and it gets about 13mph it sucks but they don't make them like this anymore. My truck is a tank and will go through anything. And will take an impact good in a wreck. So fire that old truck up and drive the crap out of it. That's what I would do. 450 is not that bad to have a tough old truck to drive.

Oh yea I know. She was my daily for a few years before I put her in the garage. I'm leaning more and more on putting her back on the road. I gave her a 1300 dollar paint job, then spent another 900 in putting in a new transmission. I definitely would have to change out the fluids before I did anything.

its a 4th order just because its tuned in the 40z doesnt mean it wont reach down and jiggle your balls at sub 30 hz frequencies.

Regardless if they were dipped platinum and were stuffed in Beyonce's twat.....way too fucking exspensive

this sux camel dicks

Do it blue, When you take that first ride It's gonna be well worth it.

90 Nissan 240sx

Avic z-140bh

Audison SR4

Audison Voce 6.5s

CDT es-20 tweeters

Sundown 1500v3

(2) DD 9510's

3 cube box 2 6" aeros

XS Power D2400 & Xp950

Skyhigh/Knukonceptz/Rockford Fosgate wiring

More Coming Soon.. Check my builds below.

97 Civic Hatch Build

86 Caprice Build

you can pick up a chick in a car... I think it'd be hard to roll up mackin on a broad sittin on a sundown. My opinion

I would get it smogged and registered. Cause if you ever want to sell it then it's good to go, and if you don't want to sell it, well you got another vehicle to drive. I'm not sure of your tax situation, but if your getting a decent return then now will be a good time to take care of it.

If your not 100 percent sure if it's the cats or not, I would just pay a shop to diagnose why it won't pass smog rather than guess. I blew threw like $800 bucks trying to get my suburban to pass smog and it still wouldn't. I finally broke down and paid a shop like 75 bucks to diagnose it, and it turned out my cat was bad. Long story short it would have only cost me like 400 if I would have just spent the money to have it checked out first.

Good luck!!

Edited by sprkn_ranger

That's one thing I will never do to my truck is sell it. Been in the family since new. She is my baby lol. Yea, figure I should probably get a month pass from the dmv and get her out of the garage so I can work on her a little bit this week to get her ready for smog/diagnose on Thursday.

this sux camel dicks

Yea, it sat for 7 years at my grandparents house after my grandpa passed away. She is used to sitting lol. But yea, I will start gathering up the stuff to get her on the road( transmission fluid and filter, oil and filter, and should do a radiator flush also, and pick up new cats. Figuring it is the cats since they are 26 years old now, and new cats wouldn't hurt either (besides the wallet).

this sux camel dicks