Would this work to lower the bass frequencies of a song?

Opening a track in audacity, duplicating the track (Ctrl-D), putting a high pass filter on the first track and a low pass filter on the second track, then changing the pitch of the second track (composed entirely of bass)? Sounds perfect in theory, but I can't really test it right now.

Would that work or is there a better way? Would like to be able to lower bass frequencies without messing with the mids or treble

That would work. I believe that's what Autruche (not 100% on spelling) used to do. But listen to it after you do that cause it might sound really muddy & there could be cancelling out depending on where you crossed it over at. Just gotta try.

System:

Basically Stock

In process of upgrading

I've done that, just cross it over a bit higher than the highest bass note, and use the steepest slope filter you can

^^ That might be dependent on which program is used. I've never had an issue with that. :shrug:

OP is referring to audacity, so that's what program we are talking about

Reading > me :faintthud:

That would work. I believe that's what Autruche (not 100% on spelling) used to do. But listen to it after you do that cause it might sound really muddy & there could be cancelling out depending on where you crossed it over at. Just gotta try.

Yep, I'm the one who does that. Exactly the same way the OP describes, but one thing is missing. You must lower the amplitude of both tracks before you mix and render them, otherwise they will both start to clip. Usually I lower the treble track more than the bass track. Also you will often encounter situations where running a HPF will clip the highs badly. In those situations I amplify the track by -50 dB, duplicate it, then use the EQ with the steepest roll off to boost the desired frequencies by about 45dB. In essence, doing the exact opposite of a crossover. You RARELY wind up with a track that sounds as good as the original though, it doesn't work every time.

More often than not you wind up with a terribly choppy looking bass line, or bad harmonic distortion, or a waveform that does not want to go back together at the correct amplitudes. When it does work it is great, but it is a total pain in the ass to do because only about 1 in 5 songs would actually reconfigure properly, but most of the time it would just sound totally wrong. I've been manipulating songs like that for over a year now and I've only ever had it turn out the right way like a dozen times.

I have more audacity projects in my recycling bin that I have posts on this forum.

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want