Do I need a better alternator?

I'm wanting to upgrade soon and right now I have a 170 amp alternator with a wet cell up front and a d680 in back.(1000RMS, 4 gauge, big3...hifonics1500d) I'm wanting to double my power(2000 RMS)..Would I be needing to get a new alternator or maybe just a nice AGM(or 2?) up front to replace the wet cell?

97 Suburban

8 custom PSI Platform 3 18's

Replace the big 3 with 0AWG.Go with a dry cell up front. A bigger battery in back. If it was me I would do a HO alt as well.

Clip city bitch, clip clip city bitch. 10's, 12's, 15's, goin up in flames bitch.

TaylorFade, on 02 Jul 2013 - 9:38 PM, said:

Go back to that place, ask to speak to that dude again, look him dead in the eye and then.... pop him in the snot box.

Tell him T-Fade sent you.

Replace the big 3 with 0AWG.Go with a dry cell up front. A bigger battery in back. If it was me I would do a HO alt as well.

Thanks for your reply. I will definitely upgrade to 0awg and bigger XS batteries. I have a decent understanding of power but where I'm lacking is matching my alternator with the amperage my car needs. My alternator isn't stock(my stock was alot lower output)..but it's not one of the premium 250-320 output ones...Is there a chart/topic somewhere about matching your system amperage?

97 Suburban

You shouldn't need a new alternator. Just get a good under the hood battery (AGM), keep your rear battery, and you are set.

Edit: And do the big 3 with 0 gauge. 4 gauge won't like 2k going through it.

Edited by SnowDrifter

I run 2200 rms (aq2200d) with the big 3 in 0 guage, 1 yellow upfront, 1 yellow in the back, with 1 run of 0 guage front to back and im wanging off 30hz with minimul voltage drop @1500rpm. 100amp alt lol.

1998 GMC Jimmy 4 Dr.

-SINGER 275 Amp Alternator

-150 FT. Of 1/0 OFC (8 runs) 4 pos, 4 neg. Front-back.

-Audioque AQ2200D @ .5 ohm

-2 Audioque HDC3 18's Tuned to 27-29 HZ

-4 Clarion 6.5's

-2 Optima yellowtops

black-diamond.jpg

I appreciate all the help/input guys. Thanks.

I run 2200 rms (aq2200d) with the big 3 in 0 guage, 1 yellow upfront, 1 yellow in the back, with 1 run of 0 guage front to back and im wanging off 30hz with minimul voltage drop @1500rpm. 100amp alt lol.

Very interesting, because the AQ2200d is one of the amps im looking at.

How big of an XS battery would I need up front?(Bigger than the D1200?) It would be nice keeping my D680 in back working with it.

97 Suburban

How big of an XS battery would I need up front?(Bigger than the D1200?) It would be nice keeping my D680 in back working with it.

I say just get the biggest you can fit. That way you don't have to swap it out again later whilst getting the most you can out of it now. You can never have too good of electrical :good:

I say just get the biggest you can fit. That way you don't have to swap it out again later whilst getting the most you can out of it now. You can never have too good of electrical :good:

XS D3400 would fit in the stock location I believe. Alternator is fine. Rear XS will be fine. All 1/0

The XS D3400 looks like a solid choice then. Thanks again guys.

Now that I know what I need to do with my electrical system...to more system planning(amp/new box)!

97 Suburban