Second Skin Audio

AA SMD 18 recone process

kickass audio

Alright so i ordered my 18" AA SMD recone and am having some questions about the recone.

First of all it doesnt seem like my SMD is centering correctly. I currently have 3 pieces of file cabinet folders to use as shims and it is centering the coil perfectly around the pole piece just like it should. What i have the problem with is that if i clamp the spider and all that down tight on the basket and i rock the cone, it will make that tapping noise of the coil hitting the outside of the motor sooner than if i rock the cone the opposite way.

The paper shims i am using are super tight around the gap between the coil and the pole piece. In fact when i go to insert the third piece of the paper in there it is so damn hard to do that as its tight as hell but it still fits.

The other small problem i had is when i was rocking the cone to see how well it was centered it made a hairline crack where the cone meets the former. I was just going to use some of the ca glue and activator i got with my CF dustcap for the smd to fix it. Its very minor and doesnt break free at all or anything.

If anyone can give me some advice on this to help me do this recone right and not break the smd again taht would be great.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

lets bump this. Please help me.

Oh and one thing to note that if forgot to mention before: When i center the coil with the 3 folders as the shim the gap between the pole piece and former is 100% the same. The gap between the outside of the coil and the inner piece of the ferrite motor is where its not truly balanced. If i try to center the sub without the shims i can get the gap between the outside of the coil and the inside of the ferrite motor to be precise however the gap between the inside of the coil and the pole piece is not centered and will rub on one side.

Again i really dont think this is a big problem as when i center it like you should it does not scrape at all and only will tap the side of the motor if i start to rock the cone it will make the coil tap the motor on one side sooner than the other but if i push down and up on the cone it will not rub at all or anything. I did notice this behavior with the stock cone, spider, and coil that it came with so i am not too concerned but please help me verify that this is alright.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Sounds like the motors shifted somehow. I thought they were all bolted together though?

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

That's what I was thinking too but the motor is perfectly centered itself and they do have 6 bolts going through both motors to hold them together. I just don't think the pole piece was centered all the way when it was built. Again I don't think its that bad but wanted some opinions before I get the glue kit in the mail and glue it down to the basket and finalize it.

Alright so i ordered my 18" AA SMD recone and am having some questions about the recone.

First of all it doesnt seem like my SMD is centering correctly. I currently have 3 pieces of file cabinet folders to use as shims and it is centering the coil perfectly around the pole piece just like it should. What i have the problem with is that if i clamp the spider and all that down tight on the basket and i rock the cone, it will make that tapping noise of the coil hitting the outside of the motor sooner than if i rock the cone the opposite way.

The paper shims i am using are super tight around the gap between the coil and the pole piece. In fact when i go to insert the third piece of the paper in there it is so damn hard to do that as its tight as hell but it still fits.

The other small problem i had is when i was rocking the cone to see how well it was centered it made a hairline crack where the cone meets the former. I was just going to use some of the ca glue and activator i got with my CF dustcap for the smd to fix it. Its very minor and doesnt break free at all or anything.

If anyone can give me some advice on this to help me do this recone right and not break the smd again taht would be great.

Stop rocking the cone so damn much it sounds like you are breaking everything!!!

But seriously, the coil will move in the gap you just need to make sure its not touching the pole pieces or the motor side. Everything will flex with enough force.

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

Thank you for your help Drew. I figured it would be fine as the previous cone was the exact same way and only had 3 very small areas of coil rub but it didnt do anything more than just taking a small bit of the varnish off the coil. I will get the glue from AA and glue it all together. Thank you everyone for your help!!

Archived