Second Skin Audio

Two subs quieter than one?

Hello this is my first post, but I been reading a lot. However I still can't figure out what is happening with my system. Originally I have one HCCA 10.4 in a .9 cu ft sealed box stuff with 1 lb of poly power by a JL 500/1. Before I get flame I know I was way under powering it and the box isn't exactly to Orion spec.

So I rebuilt the whole system did the big 3, ran new 0 gauge wires, got a new Hifonic Brz2400, and added another HCCA 10.4. I built a new box to Orion spec 1 cu ft per sub each independantly sealed. Long story short no matter what adjustment I made it still seems the single sub sounded louder. Right now the subs are wired as 1 ohm so it should be getting the full 2400 watts. I don't have any dimming light and the voltage stay above 14v. The only adjust that seemed to help was the phase shift which I set it to reverse. The preamp voltage should be close to the 2v from my head unit.

Anyone got any idea why?

THANKS

You may have answered it:

"The only adjust that seemed to help was the phase shift which I set it to reverse."

Are you sure the subs aren't wired out of phase and cancelling each other?

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

double check your wiring on the subs. even if you know its correct, check them. how did you set your gain?

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

So your voltage stays up above 14. Is that at the battery or the amp? Just curious.

Re check your wiring again and again.

Edited by blkgp_03

Clip city bitch, clip clip city bitch. 10's, 12's, 15's, goin up in flames bitch.

TaylorFade, on 02 Jul 2013 - 9:38 PM, said:

Go back to that place, ask to speak to that dude again, look him dead in the eye and then.... pop him in the snot box.

Tell him T-Fade sent you.

This is how I wired it. Sorry for the bad illustration. I know it looks different from the 12volt site, but it should be the same right?

Capture.jpg

As the the gain adjustment I took the range of the amp setting 0.2v to 6v. 6v-0.2v = 5.8/2 = 2.9. So at the half point of the dial the voltage should be 2.9. From that point I backed it down a bit. Is there a more accurate way to set it?

sub wiring is fine. all +'s hooked together and all -'s hooked together. yeah there is a more accurate way to set gains. you did it the worst possible way though, by just turning the knob around. next step up from that is a digital multimeter, then oscilloscope, then a dd-1. best option is the dd-1. its like $140 or something but if you have buddies with stereos, you could charge like $5-10 per tune and pay that off in no time

again, double check the wiring! mistakes happen all the time. and no, thats not a good way to set the gains at all. you can set it with a DMM. you dont need to spend a lot of money to tune an amp.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

OK I double check the wiring and it looks fine (took both subs out to check). I also checked all wiring to the amp and stuff and they all look fine. I try to set the gain using a DMM but not sure what is going on with it. I watch some youtube videos and follow what I found online. Since the amp is rated 2400w @ 1 ohm, the voltage should be 48.9. I turned off loud and all EQ on the head unit and on the amp. Turn the gain to 0.2v, when I hooked up the DMM to the amp output I get 2.9 VAC. As I turn the gain towards 9v the VAC drops!!!!

I figure it might be the DMM, so I tested it on an outlet and it read 122 VAC so I know the DMM is fine. Anyone got any suggestion?

check what the head unit is putting out, not the amp

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.