n00b question about filler

amc3000

Tried searching but didnt find a really good answer. Starting getting all my stuff ready to do my first glass project. I see this can get quite confusing when looking at all these fiber sites. They have about 10 different kinds of one thing.

For my first project, I am going to just use basic resin and FG mat. However, when it comes to the filler, it seems I am not 100% sure yet. What is the big difference, or your opinion, between say, a Bondo/Everglass filler, and a Kitty hair filler other than the KH having fiber in it? Does the Kitty hair work the same as Bondo but better due to the additional strength? Does it sand and form the same?

thanks for your help.

you have different weights of fillers.

Not all sand the same.

You have coarse to fine basically. Kitty hair is used to fill large areas, not for a finish coat. For that use a finer light weight filler.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

Awesome. Answers my question! So with a small enclosure, with a simple design, I could use something lightweight like regular Bondo filler? I know its not the best, but I know where I can get it local. May go out to a Marine shop near me and see what they have. They show having Evercoat products.

Awesome. Answers my question! So with a small enclosure, with a simple design, I could use something lightweight like regular Bondo filler? I know its not the best, but I know where I can get it local. May go out to a Marine shop near me and see what they have. They show having Evercoat products.

after using other fillers, you never want to go back to bondo....evercoat's lightweight filler is decent and just as cheap as bondo...Z-grip isn't bad either; but nothing compares to Rage gold and extreme. but they do get expensive.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

Archived