Second Skin Audio

Civic trunk build... 12's or 15's?

Space limitations.....  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Of the same Brand X sub and same amount of power, would you choose?

• (2) 12's ported
    • (2) 12's 4th order
    • (2) 15's SEALED BOX

that depends on a lot of factors. maybe if said 15 had twice the power going to it. but 2 12's is more cone area, so in theory, if you could fit a proper sized box for 2 12's forward firing into the cabin, you'd be louder.

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

Yea that's what I am thinking... In the end the basic cone area is king seems to take over. Hey 412, would you think I would just be better off making a solid ported box for the 12's as opposed to trying to fit a 4th order in there?

And its a '99 lx

Edited by KickerKid58

06 Jeep Grand Cherokee

2 DC Level4 12"

Soundstream TA1.3000d

4 RF Punch 6.5" Components

2 RF Punch 3.5" 2-ways

RF Prime 400.4D

XS Power XP950 +&-run of XScorpion 1/0 OFC My Civic Build

Just do a regular ported box. If you want loudest, do subs back and aero port firing towards the drivers side. That's what usually is loudest.

I personally liked having subs and port firing towards the trunk MUCH MUCH better then firing foward sealed off. Never got the chance to fire the port to the side

Sealed off firing fwd in my civic I lose 3-4dbs...

With 2 sonic soundlab super sonic x 12's and a sundown saz3500' sealed off it'd barely do a 138,

subs and port back it'd do a mid 143...

Right now it's subs and port fwd not sealed off box all the way to the rear of the trunk as close to the trunk lid with 2 6" aero ports ....that way it'll do a 148...

Look at terry Brock's setup, I got my ideas from him

I've tried port back, port to the side, sealed off and it's loudest firing fwd unsealed off...granted every cars diff but there both civics

Edited by jlh2003

Yup I forgot about the box all the way to the back of the trunk. that will work if you have the room to push it far back. build a box and try all different positions and see which one sounds best to your ear. that's all that really matters

Sealed off firing fwd in my civic I lose 3-4dbs...

With 2 sonic soundlab super sonic x 12's and a sundown saz3500' sealed off it'd barely do a 138,

subs and port back it'd do a mid 143...

Right now it's subs and port fwd not sealed off box all the way to the rear of the trunk as close to the trunk lid with 2 6" aero ports ....that way it'll do a 148...

Look at terry Brock's setup, I got my ideas from him

I've tried port back, port to the side, sealed off and it's loudest firing fwd unsealed off...granted every cars diff but there both civics

Thats crazy how much of a difference that made. Never even thought of that. On a quick side note are there any significant advantages to using areoports over a basic slot port? Is the elimination of port noise one part of it?

06 Jeep Grand Cherokee

2 DC Level4 12"

Soundstream TA1.3000d

4 RF Punch 6.5" Components

2 RF Punch 3.5" 2-ways

RF Prime 400.4D

XS Power XP950 +&-run of XScorpion 1/0 OFC My Civic Build

from working with some of the sundown/Team nemisis guys doing testing and from their previous testing they have noticed about a 1db gain with aero ports vs slot ports.

when doing a design with the box in the rear of the trunk fwd firing you have to think outside the box and kinda imagine the trunk as the 2nd chamber and kinda think of it as a 6th order almost in some ways...What I mean is you have to reinforce the trunk and seal every opening and air leaks like vents or tail light or the notorious honda fender cavities....a trunk box is no good if trunk is weak it self

here's some suggestion's Ill share that I got from Mr Brocks himself