Mechman Alternators

How much can 270a handle before needing extra batterys

Im undecided on what my next build is going to be and unsure of the power ill be putting out. Ive ran multiple batteries on many vehicles but never upgraded my alternator. Currently ive got a 4.0 explorer and am set on purchasing 270amp because i need the extra power for off road goodies on top of my stereo. Im just curious on how self sufficiant the alternators are under load before adding more batterys

"God's country is like Heaven, Cause you can drive like HELL!!"

carwash.gif

Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!

Well, subtract about 40-60 amps for stock electrical necessities, whatever you're left with is how much amperage you can supply. Simple as that.

under construction

I hate People with crappy primered cars rolling on hubcaps that are louder then me.

u hate c-fizzy?

Your batteries should be sized to your system demands.

Alternators are designed to maintain batteries, not directly power devices. You need both to be properly sized for your system to perform.

Im running a 12k lb winch and 3 sets of 80-110 watt lights on top of stereo. Depending upon which future stereo build i choose i know ill need extra batts. Just trying to figure what max output the alt can put out before needing extra voltage

carwash.gif

Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!

Better safe than sorry, in other words why risk burning up your alt rather than just buyin a batt and bein done with it? lol

92 Honda Prelude SI H23a3

HU: Alpine CDA-105

Front Stage: DB Drive PT6.0 6.5"

Rear Stage: Junk pioneers (Not sure what im wanting to do in the trunk, waiting)

Speaker Amp: DB Drive A4 4200

Sub Amp: MB Quart DSC1500.1

Subs: 2 12" MB Quart Premiums

Box: Slot port tuned to ~34hz

Wiring: Kicker Ultraflex 0awg and Big 3

Alt: Stock (saving for a 200amp Excessive Amperage)

Batteries: Optima Yellow Top and Stinger SPV44

Extra Equipment:

Two Rockford Fosgate T2 12's (Recones in future)

Kicker ZX1000.1

home_mbquart.jpg

Selling:

Im looking to run 2k-3k in somewhat distant future (i know ill need extra batterys then) but for now im looking to be efficiant with around 900wrms plus my lights, when im winching im not rockin out

carwash.gif

Im looking to run 2k-3k in somewhat distant future (i know ill need extra batterys then) but for now im looking to be efficiant with around 900wrms plus my lights, when im winching im not rockin out

carwash.gif

The 270a will be good for this application along with one AGM battery under the hood. When you add your sound system into the vehicle you will want to increase your battery capacity and may want to do that prior to the audio to assist the winch.