Second Skin Audio

Painting a subwoofer cone?

412 CVX

Can you paint a sub cone? i know PSI does stuff like that, but say i wanted a little DIY project. is it possible?

if so, good products to do it with? tips and tricks?

keep in mind i'm not going for the 15" gold painted soluhburric in a probox look. something somewhat professional if possible.

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

Yes, but it may change the properties of the speaker. Don't paint the surround though; the paint will just come off.

"Cheap, good or fast. You can only pick two out of three."

"Have money? Love story! No money? I'm sorry."

If you prep the cone right the paint should stick fine and look good. Also I assume you are using spray paint and I doubt the paint weight will affect the speaker at all.

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

since the subwoofer cone is often treated paper, it will probably act somewhat like a plastic. i know there's some spray paints out there for plastic. my concern is the finish mainly. i have an airbrush (iwata eclipse) and could use that if necessary.

any other suggestions as to products and prep methods?

i did a quick google search and a general consensus is no. at least on the forum i read

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

Depends on the cone material.

If its soft carbon or kevlar, paint doesnt work too well.

If its paper, paint may soak in too much.

If its Polypropylene, paint may not stick too well.

Certain methods would have to be take for each material type. So let's start with what type of cone?

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

there is nothing inherently wrong with painting a subwoofer cone because it is a subwoofer cone. It will just come down to the logistics of getting the paint to work properly with whatever the cone material is as HHR Ed said. On a regular speaker playing higher frequencies the paint weight could throw off speaker dynamics but with a sub you should be fine.

Team NorthWestSPL

Well, i was somewhat speaking in general terms... buuut let's say for examples sake some obsidian 12's

More box builds

I'm with captain stupid.

I'm wondering about this as well. My girlfriend wants two pink subs, but rather then spend £80 on two new subs I was thinking about just spraying the ones she has. The cone feels like a hard plastic, I was thinking of spraying it with that plasti dip stuff, plastic onto plastic should be fine shouldn't it?

Archived