After a long break, graduating and getting much closer to Joining the Air Force as an Officer, I plan on working on the system again. I had to put it on hold for a little bit and though It will still be slow, I'm going to make sure I'm back to working on it on the weekends.

I really havn't done much to the sound system, but I have been thinking about it a lot so I have come up with some methods and ideas.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to everyone who was tuned into the project but I became busy and just lost focus on the sound system.

BUT I'M BACK.

It will be a slow build, maybe even super slow but I'm hoping to have the amp racks finished. In the mean time, I'll post some pics of the recent changes soon.

Some of the changes over the span have been stiffening the suspension some. Actually pulled off some weight too.

IMAG0143_zps5007e80a.jpg

Replaced the shocks

IMAG0911_zps0c9116aa.jpg

Smoked the tail lights because I hated how bright red they were

2014-11-11114117-1_zps964e6e23.jpg

Used some LED bulbs that are much brighter than stock to allow them to stay bright. The outer two are the brake and the inner lights are running lights.

2014-11-11215107_zpsfc5eef0a.jpg

Also replaced the headlights and foglights with halos for a nice look at night.

Unfortunately I let the car sit for 3 months and both batteries died, I was able to restore one but the other will not keep a charge over 12. Keeps dropping back down. Only positive is that it used to only hold 10V but now I have it staying steady at 11.6V. I have it sitting on my battery maintainer, but I'm thinking it is dead. Going to let it sit on it for another week, then see where it settles at. If its above 11.6V I will put a nice load on it to see if it drops like crazy. If anyone knows something about Batteries then I need some input. I didnt want to buy a new battery but If I have to Id probably rather get 2 small deep cycle batteries.

As for the build, I cut some of the extra fiberglass off my last amprack and put my first coat of bondo on. I am going to start sanding it soon but need to get my tools out of storage. To be honest it looks nice and bad at the same time. Its the shape it's suppose to be minus needing to finish the cutting, which will help a lot. But since the inside of the trunk isn't symmetrical, it looks like I messed up.

Here is a really bad picture of it.

2014-12-21155015_zps4eaba560.jpg

Since the picture I fixed some more cuts and put some bondo on it, but I need my other tools to finish it. The other amp racks cover the sides up some, but I may have to foam some to leave no gap. I was going to leave room to put something neat in the gaps but probably going to just fill it. Thankfully these amp racks are super strong and have all the support they need. Now I need to make them look pretty. Will not buy thick matte again though. Very hard to work with. I think I was using 2.0 matte and would much prefer something around 1-1.5.

Sweet man, sure would be nice to see this thing done. Gone for exactly 2 years and still wants to finish build, that's unheard of, lol. Tuned in!

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Sweet man, sure would be nice to see this thing done. Gone for exactly 2 years and still wants to finish build, that's unheard of, lol. Tuned in!

Thanks. I will make sure to get it finished this time, but primary focus is to only do it once so w/e it takes it's gotta work the first time and be right.

Built a nice cheap Work Table for me to be able to do all my bondo and sand work.

2015-01-01142449_zps583342d9.jpg

Also reinforced the multichannel amp mount with another layer so that I can worry a little less for those times I want to have fun driving on the road.

2015-01-01142536_zpsb2863829.jpg

Gonna try to clean the piece up some, maybe get a little sanding in (since I have my tools now) and put another coat of paint on the table to help it last the elements, but it's New Years and gonna have to go do something.

• 2 weeks later...

Did some foam work today because after two days the bondo still has not fully hardened.

2015-01-10174501_zps29d4165e.jpg

The tops were foamed so that I need to use less bondo, since I used foil and the inside of my car as a mold, it would need a lot of bondo. I'm trying to hope this means I use less and therefore save some weight.

2015-01-10174523_zpsfd51c1cd.jpg

Even used some at the bottom of the amp racks though they are supported with fiberglass and will get another coat of fiberglass, filling the gap should keep the load a little more evenly placed. (The large cutout is for the fan, and all wiring.

A finally...

2015-01-10174934_zps909eef79.jpg

This is how they are going to be in the trunk minus not being in the trunk so I made a slight mock up.

I do plan on taking a ton of time on making sure these come out exactly how I want them. The cold weather is just making it take longer. I tried sanding the bondo but after a few minutes I could tell it wasn't ready.

After they all get a bit more work done I will finally put them back in the trunk and see where I need to go from there.

Archived