OK so here is it out of the vehicle

IMAG0631.jpg

You can see how I'm going to be cutting the sides

IMAG0632.jpg

Now it's not going to be as big as it loos right now. I'm starting to change my mind on how the front face looks.

IMAG0634.jpg

The back bottom and sides need to be done before I can really test how it will looks. Plus I need the sides for internal volume.After the sides get cut and I'm ready to put them on, Ill fix the center up and it will start to look more uniform.

OK so no actual work was done yet today, I will get something done. Waiting on a friend for his tools but if that doesn't go my way then I'll work on running my second power wire.

One thing has been in my head though, do I want to build this for SPL or shoot for SQ.

Another thing is my design, does it seem plain to anyone else. I know it will look slightly better than what ProE showed it as because I didn't add curves (takes time) but I have been thinking of ideas that will look better but every idea conflicts with my port.

If I decide to shoot more for SPL then I want the port to be on the driver side, I can still make a fake port on the other side just for looks if I plan on doing that so it still looks symmetrical. The problem with that is I'm running 2 amps one for each sub, and unfortunately my amps are a bit Old School and dont have a master/slave option so I guess that just leaves strapping them (I think). I don't really know how to do this though and If I do it I'd like to do it right but I don't have the extra $ atm to buy the Maxx-Link and they wont even sponsor me for 1 part. I don't even know if that is needed or if it simplifies the install. Input on this please, I can't really do much more until I figure out my final design now. I'm liking the SPL idea because I would love to hit close to 150db and I am pushing 4.4kW to these things in which I seen 4 of these hit 154db on 3kW.

Well if someone can also clarify one thing for me, does the port on the driver side make a big difference versus a port in the middle. I have never done SPL competitions and I know virtually nothing about them. I am starting research on them but I have 1 more final so I can't do much yet.

Most of the time, driver side port will score better in trucks. Never seen it done in a Mustang, so no real way to know until you try it.

If you want SQ, get rid of all the Hifonics gear. Just stick to the plan you got now IMO.

I like the middle port idea simply to ensure the subs are loading exactly the same.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

Most of the time, driver side port will score better in trucks. Never seen it done in a Mustang, so no real way to know until you try it.

If you want SQ, get rid of all the Hifonics gear. Just stick to the plan you got now IMO.

I like the middle port idea simply to ensure the subs are loading exactly the same.

Yeah, I think I'm going to stay with my plan. I'm just second guessing myself for some reason. Thanks for the response.

The box will probably stay untouched until next weekend though, I have to travel to Apopka to get the rest of the cuts I need. It will be 1 day of nothing but cutting wood. Maybe a little fiberglassing. Until then, very minor things. So it will get slow for a bit guys, sorry but finishing up finals tomorrow and graduating on Thursday so that day is spent with family. I will try to do some work on the amp racks though since they need some love while I wait on the box.

OK so graduation was on Thursday and my parents came up and bought me a few things I needed as a congratulations.

IMAG0641.jpg

That's 2 gallons of resin, an orbital sander and a jig saw (I left the laser line it has on for the photo)

They also lent me a nice camera so after this picture upload, I'll be using a nice 12MP camera.

Heres the difference, I tried basically just retaking the previous picture.

IMG_1712-1.jpg

Slow work because even though I graduated I still have to finish a project even though it's the school who kept us from doing it.

A pic of me after graduation

IMG_1701-1.jpg

Picture of the engineering project I've been working on. gussets I cut are getting welded on.

IMG_1714.jpg

Torching a whole in the 3/8" steel plate

IMG_1717.jpg

Sides cut to fit for the bottom. The top and face was not cut yet.

IMG_1720.jpg

The center piece where the port will be was cut. This will be what separates the 2 subs. Since I don't have a face yet Im not ready to add it on. It needs some slight modifications anyways for that perfect fit.

IMG_1725.jpg

I plan on getting some work done tomorrow. I still have my engineering project that needs to be finished, but I'm sure the idea of the box is making much more sense now.

I did alot of measuring and prepped some pieces for cutting tomorrow. With all the measuring I did a new Model as well for volumes.

I used Pro E for the volumes of material. (Don't mind the Density and Mass) I did change my design slightly because I'm going to use my other plexiglass at the bottom. It will be painted over from the start but later I can sand it down and add something if I want.

CadVolume.jpg

Then with information I got from Pro E, I had to combine in MathCad to get my internal Volume. (I tried explaining)

BoxVolume.jpg

I have tons of room for bracing so hopefully my box will be nice and strong. I need to get it to 5.5ft^3

I found some tubing and marked it off in 90degree sections

IMG_1728.jpg

This is how it came out, 2 are a bit larger than the others since they will be used for the larger radius and the others are the inside so smaller radius, though the radius on each are the same.

IMG_1729.jpg

Not sure if you can see here the different sizes. It's hard to see.

IMG_1730.jpg

I did a bit more today but didn't take pics of them because it was just a followup of previous stuff. I'm going to try to get a few more cuts and place it in the car tomorrow.

Here's an updated version of my calculations though it's still not complete until I get closer to 5.5.

BoxVolume-1.jpg

Btw if anyone needs help on calculations for volume, I wont mind helping anyone out. It should be something tough though, If its a square box it shouldn't be hard plus there's programs for that.

Going to the machine shop again to cut the other plexiglass I have, and to cut some more 1x1" solid steel bar. So I may not get much done with the actual box today, it's almost ready to have the sides and center fiberglassed.

Archived