Second Skin Audio

Sub Cancellation?

I always though that sub cancellation occured when two subs were wired in opposite phase from each other. I think as long as they are wired in phase with eachother there shuldnt be a limit as to how close they are. But then again i could be wrong

TEAM SUNDOWN

4 Nightshade 15"s

2 Sundown SAZ-4500

8 Deep Cycle batts

1998 Cadillac Catera

SPLMAX CUP 2008 Fourth Place Overall

logoblack.jpg

from what i know that is how it is, as long as they are in phase with each other then it wont be a problem. just a thought but are you running the subs of a 2 channel amp (non-bridged). maybe you are getting different signals from each subwoofer and it is causeing them to cancle? im not sure if it works like that but its possible i guess.

1992 cavalier build

1992 blazer s10

kenwood cd

hifonics hfi2500d

6 soon to be 12 12" hifonics hfi12d4's

shit ton-o-wire

Blurred Vision Audio

Team SMD

feedback/refs. clicky!-

I had 3 12's in a sealed box a while back and had no problems. actually I did have 1 problem, one day I was bumpin it and it started to sound funny, so I turned the system up real loud went back to the trunk to look and I blew the bottom off of my box. the box was literally bouncing in the trunk. The idiots that built the box only used wood glue and no screws.

Team Deadly Hertz

I had 3 12's in a sealed box a while back and had no problems. actually I did have 1 problem, one day I was bumpin it and it started to sound funny, so I turned the system up real loud went back to the trunk to look and I blew the bottom off of my box. the box was literally bouncing in the trunk. The idiots that built the box only used wood glue and no screws.

damn man no nails either?

I'm not going to lie, that is slightly funny. But I woulda been pissed and complained like there is no tomorrow. And gotten a new box.

A vitrolic, megalomaniacal sadistic psychopath.

A common chamber enclosure can be slightly more or less effecient than a dual chamber or multiple chamber design, depending on who or how it was designed. However, pray that one woofer does not fail at high volume as if it does, it will act as a radiator and raise the enclosure volume, effectively cancelling what the intact driver is doing. This rise in enclosure space will drop the resonant frequency, and your other sub will mechanically destroy itself. For safety's sake, devide it.

In direct response to your question, allow for at least one to one and a half driver spaces between them.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

Honestly, odd enuff, I built, and concentrated ONLY on shared chamber box designs for the past 10 or so years, ever since I heard you can gain about 1.5db over dvided chambers..... BUT, maybe a wall with all seperate enclosures would be louder due to less fighting between the woofers????

in a shared chamber, the woofers are fighting against eachother, meaning they SHOULDNT play louder, Iam sure there is a certain size where this doesnt apply any more.... But its common sense, isnt it?

This I believe is where a high excursion sub will get louder than a lower excursion, high BL sub.....

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

would it matter in a ported single chamber box though, i could see if there where two subs in a totally sealed box them 'fighting' over the airspace. but in a ported box wouldnt the subs just act like one really big sub, that is if they where in phase with each other, and push a ton of air? i just dont understand how they would 'fight' in a ported box.

1992 cavalier build

1992 blazer s10

kenwood cd

hifonics hfi2500d

6 soon to be 12 12" hifonics hfi12d4's

shit ton-o-wire

Blurred Vision Audio

Team SMD

feedback/refs. clicky!-