Sonic Electronix

Amp goes into protect mode randomly

Stinger voltage meter. I put it on the front batt also and it was about the same. I highly doubt im getting that much voltage drop because my lights dim around 12.6-13 when the car is running and they are not dimming yet.

elec is stock alt and a hc2400 in back

dont doubt or assume things. EVER. where is your amp grounded to? better be some shiny thick metal

u sure you aint clipping?

my kicker amp would going into protect when i had my gains high, then i scoped the amp, the wave was flat, i mean it was prolly a good half inch of ____, i backed the gains off to form a pretty nice sine wave slope. no protect

Team Clearly Louder (MECA)Team DC Audio

++* SELLING the CACTUS SOUNDS K12 for $1550 shipped *++

HMU!!!

3 flips. nollie flips. big flips. hardflips. - steez

Youtube Channel My Build Log

95 Bonneville SSE

- WALLED/4th Order - ~30 cubes -

*thanks LoganBerry, CortezDVT, Cj18, SuperCharged DC, Ryan-RAM Designs,LoudNLow931*

u sure you aint clipping?

my kicker amp would going into protect when i had my gains high, then i scoped the amp, the wave was flat, i mean it was prolly a good half inch of ____, i backed the gains off to form a pretty nice sine wave slope. no protect

Guess Ill know for sure tomorrow. Going to excessive dbs

Build In Progress for Slamology 2013

3 m1xl 18s walled in a gti

1 5k

4 batts

audio technix 1/0

8 cheap r/f 6.5s

mb quart 4.60

One can assume gain needs to be up because it is a stock hu with prolly like 1v out or something lol. Also the subs are wanting more power.

Voltage stays above 13.5 at idle.

Ummmm - - Your stock head unit has pre-outs?

If not, you are probably using a line-out converter for your input to the amp, that won't be 1v....\

Unless it is a very good LOC, it can really really really really contribute to distortion and clipping which = protect mode.

I wouldn't assume that gain needs to be up, I would make sure that it is set properly. good thing you are getting that taken care of.

Edited by pstone11

Check out StoneSounds to see my recent builds.Or look at the Flying White Facebook Page!

are you running series or parallel inside your box? also is your amp mono or 2 channel? If you are running parallel that could be your problem right there if your amp is one ohm stable and your speakers are one ohm on each coil and you run parallel you are bridging them down to.5 ohm therefore your amp will go into protection cause it is not rated for .5 ohm and protects it from being fried!!!

I put my 2nd lvl 4 in last the other day, subs are D1s so they are wired to 1ohm (Amp is obv. 1 ohm stable (apk2500)) It will play fine full tilt as long as I want it to if the gain is less than half way however, the gain needs to be more than halfway and when I turn it up passed halfway the subs will play for anywhere from 30secs to 3mins depending on the song I guess and then the amp will just go into protect. The amp is not hot at all when it does this.

Could this be a ground wire problem? I thought thats what it was originally and Ive put it in different spots and even changed locations.

Could it be the stock HU is clipping hard or all the voltage out only at high volumes?

Really have no idea what the problem is at this point. Speaker wires are soldered together. Amp is not touching metal.

im lost. BUT WHEN IT WORKS OMFG IT SLAMS.

- Check the final OHM load with a DDM

- Check and maybe try another grounding for the amp, free of pain and tightly secure

- Check all amp connects

- Headunit settings are all FLAT and "boosts" are off

- Check voltage at full tilt or right before it cuts out.

I would in that order.

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee LaredoPioneer AVH- 3200DVD2/0 Flex-A-Prene Welding Cable

(2) Fully Loaded Fi Sp4's dual 1-------> My YouTube Channel <-------

Needs more power those woofers will laugh at that turd

One can assume gain needs to be up because it is a stock hu with prolly like 1v out or something lol. Also the subs are wanting more power.

Voltage stays above 13.5 at idle.

Ummmm - - Your stock head unit has pre-outs?

If not, you are probably using a line-out converter for your input to the amp, that won't be 1v....\

Unless it is a very good LOC, it can really really really really contribute to distortion and clipping which = protect mode.

I wouldn't assume that gain needs to be up, I would make sure that it is set properly. good thing you are getting that taken care of.

That is probably part of the problem. I am using a LO converter right now. Maybe it is clipping hard since it was only $35. I can get a new HU whenever I want but not sure what I want to get.

Checked stuff with dmm earlier just to see.

Final Ohm load was .9

Fulltilt voltage was 13.64 b4 it cut off.

Build In Progress for Slamology 2013

3 m1xl 18s walled in a gti

1 5k

4 batts

audio technix 1/0

8 cheap r/f 6.5s

mb quart 4.60

Yup - get yourself a proper head unit and that will make a world of difference.

I'm not saying that it is 100% of your problem but I am 100% sure that it will produce a much cleaner signal for your amp to work with.

Check out StoneSounds to see my recent builds.Or look at the Flying White Facebook Page!