I saw a video a few days ago showing how the DD-1 distortion light came on at 1% thd with the 0 dB track playing, I can't seem to find the vid to link to now but I'm sure enough people have seen it to know which one I'm talking about. Anyway, my question is what would the THD be if you set your gains using the -5dB, -10dB, and -15dB tracks and then turned your volume up to the highest clean signal? Sorry if this has been answered I searched around but couldn't find it anywhere.

HU: Pioneer

Highs: 2X 4X6"s, 2X 3.5"s, 4X 5.25" comps, Q-Logic kicks, and a Sundown SAX-125.2

Subs: 4 Nightshade 15s and Strapped SAZ-3500Ds <---Sundown FTW good.gif

Electrical: dual DC Power 320s (ordered) and 2 D3400s up frt and 4 D2700s in the back

.ʇı ɥʇıʍ ʞɔnɟ ʇ,uɐɔ noʎ 'ʞɔıp ǝɹos ɐ ǝʞı1 sı uʍopunS

26d2fe1a.jpg0969b13f.jpg343030b8.jpg

most music is recorded -5 decibels so the -5 decibel track is used to find maximum clean output at -5 dbs, if you play a 0 db there will be a decent amount of clipping, i dont have any way to measure it but it would be just in the danger zone if not worse, so set your amp with the dbs that you play. if your using 0 db test tones frequently then tune with a 0 db track and if you listen to non bass boosted music tune with the -5 db track and for music thats been boosted depending on how much its being boosted you tune between -5 and 0

Edited by jrchevy87

This has been brought up a few times before. And there are different opinions on the matter. It seems one popular opinion is to set the head unit with the 0db so you will not ever clip unless the source music is clipped, then set the amps with the -5db. To compensate for for "music". But no matter what you do, you are just going to have to either check every single song for clipping before you play it on your system, or learn to hear clipping when it is present.

Thanks for the replys, but that's kinda not what I'm asking. I already know I'm going to set my highs amp with the -5dB track and my sub amps with the -15dB track. I was more asking in terms of amp ratings. Like my old Orion amps put out 100 WRMS at .0005% THD and my SAZ-3500Ds are rated at 750 WRMS at <1% so I was curious if I'd be seeing more considerably more power by using the -15 dB track. I just don't know if I'd be seeing 10% THD or 80% THD. So I was asking if anyone had set up their amp with the -15 dB track and then tested to see what the THD was with the 0 dB or even the -5 dB track playing.

Edited by Blue_C1500

Highs: 2X 4X6"s, 2X 3.5"s, 4X 5.25" comps, Q-Logic kicks, and a Sundown SAX-125.2

Electrical: dual DC Power 320s (ordered) and 2 D3400s up frt and 4 D2700s in the back

any particular reason you are set on using the -15db setting and are worried about THD? If you are worried about noise in your system, the last thing you want to do is have your gain cranked up.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

any particular reason you are set on using the -15db setting and are worried about THD? If you are worried about noise in your system, the last thing you want to do is have your gain cranked up.

I'm not worried about noise in my system. I'm more worried about over powering my woofers... My woofers are almost never on. It's not really feasible tome to be driving around with ~160dbs beating on your brain.

Ah my bad, with all these questions about THD I thought you were worried about noise in your system. How exactly do you plan to keep from over powering your subs using the DD-1?

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

THD will be the same since the light turns on at 1%...it ONLY matters which attenuated tone you use. the ONLY difference between the tones is what volume they're recorded at. thats it.

THD will be the same since the light turns on at 1%...it ONLY matters which attenuated tone you use. the ONLY difference between the tones is what volume they're recorded at. thats it.

Yeah, but if you use the -15dB track to set your gain at 1% then play music that is recorded at -5 or 0dB the THD will go up correct? My question is, how much will it go up by switching?

And MrSkippy the DD-1's not going to keep me from overpowering the subs, just give me a rough idea how much I'm overpowering them by telling me about how much over the <1% THD Jake used when he rated my amps that I really am.

I hope that helps. I confused myself a little there. lol

If you are worried about the power to the speakers if you adjust the gain below the clipping point of 1% and feel it is still too much just adjust the gain lower and you'll be perfectly fine regardless, unless the song itself is clipped you won't clip the speakers through over gaining the amp.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2