Second Skin Audio

Please help!!!!

Hey guys I am having hell with this box and want to ask for a quick bit of help. I am running an RE Audio XXX 15 I built the box to 43x19x19 with the walls and prt all being 1.5 inches thick. port is 4.5 x16 with 31 inches of port length. I have a mac and cannot DL Torres or I would. WinIsd pisses me off lol and hates my computer. Could someone pretty please run the specs above and wee what is happening, Sub displacement is .27 desired tuning is 33 I am sure the tuning might be off a bit but that is ok as long as it is within a few Hz. Please help a man out. The box is strong and no leaks, fiberglass all the 45's mdf on inside and birch on outside....it hits hard on the lows and doesnt seem to have any port noise....window and roof flex from hell,...just seems to lack any mids lol..( I know it is a sub so mid drivers are on their way) anyhow this was my first ported box build so Im nervous I F'd it up lol. Any help and suggestions are appreciated.

2004 VW Beetle turbo'd shiny and able to go boom...DONT ASK ME WHY BUT THE WOMENZ LIKEZ IT.

CURRENT BUILD UNDER WAY

DC AMPS ON PREORDER

STINGER WIRES IN HAND

MECHMAN 270 ON THE WAY

RE XXX 15 IN HAND GETTING REPLACED BY A DC XL M2 SOON

4.1 CUBES @ 33 HZ HITTEN DEM LOWS

XS POWER BATTERIES ON DA WAY

CLARION HU'S LOOKING PURRRDY

FATMAT XTREME AND RATTLE TRAPPED TO THE BALL SACK

THE REST IS A SECRET

anyone? Please..

2004 VW Beetle turbo'd shiny and able to go boom...DONT ASK ME WHY BUT THE WOMENZ LIKEZ IT.

CURRENT BUILD UNDER WAY

DC AMPS ON PREORDER

STINGER WIRES IN HAND

MECHMAN 270 ON THE WAY

THE REST IS A SECRET

its 3.8 cubes net tuned to 36 with 18.6 of port. seems like a good box a little to much port area for my taste but it should be fine because the xxx have crazy excursion

Edited by new guy

*current*

1991 honda crx si

2 skar audio 12s

pioneer 6.5s

dual 400 watt amp

audio technix

db 1/0 wiring kit.

dual head unit

ub is firing up, port is back. I got a net of 3.8ish. at 36 hz. The sub hits low pretty hard,....I think the bos is ok but maybe something else is the culprit. Clarion NZ500 for the deck...flat eq'd with the sub level at 7 ...sub filter on deck at 80 hz volume on 30 out of 40. RE audio Xt4000 de powering it... rated at 1600 watts @1 ohm which I am sure the amp isnt pushing gain around half subsonic filter on about 30 hz filter at 80 hz no bass boost. Hits but doesnt seem very musical. Ive messed with the filters and the gain.and just can not seem to get it to sound good all the way around. Rap hits hard on lows but seems to not have much upper bass and such. but the kicks on rock are weak and almost non existent. the bos is really strong and well built,...maybe a lil polyfill to make it act like it is seeing 4 cubes?? maybe underpowered to the point that the amp is the culprit. Bass seems fairly clean with little distortion, sub doesnt bottom out that I can hear but at high volumes its hard to tell if its car rattle or the sub?? IDK any ideas or suggestions. I know getting a good front setup with mids and highs will only help but I feel like this sub should just be killing and not have what appears to be such a narrow band. thanks for all the help I really appreciate it. Just frustrated that RE told me the box cal was not off lol and frustrated that the amp most likely will not see the 1600w rms that it claimed....and overall just frustrated why It just doesnt sound good to me. i had a jl audio w3 in a ported box with around 350 watts rms that sounded better overall( didnt hit the lows like the xxx though) sigh....

CURRENT BUILD UNDER WAY

DC AMPS ON PREORDER

STINGER WIRES IN HAND

MECHMAN 270 ON THE WAY

THE REST IS A SECRET

its an L shaped port, why would 16 inches make no sense exactly..?

CURRENT BUILD UNDER WAY

DC AMPS ON PREORDER

STINGER WIRES IN HAND

MECHMAN 270 ON THE WAY

THE REST IS A SECRET

No you are ok since you are using 1.5" wood thickness all around, here is the output of Torres you requested:

reXXX15B.jpg

Your spec seems ok, your sub should be reasonably away from the sides and the port internal end and the port external end should be unobstructed.

You are not saying what vehicle and what component set are you using but I will say that you are not the only one here complaining about the exact same issue with big subs.

A couple of 7"- 8" midbass drivers ( not mid range drivers or subs) usually fixes this properly crossed. Maybe a proper front stage installation and tuning using strong midbass comps can also do the job.

Thanks for the specs....as of now i am looking into GOOD FRONT STAGE..... But I am seriously considering selling this sub,....Even as the bass goes it is all over the place. It is in a 2006 vw bug (box sits mounted in place of the back seat) I just can not get it to sound good. it will hit hard in the 40 -50 hz range it seems, but has no balls after that. When it does hit hard it is only on rap music which only consist of 30% of what I listen to. Maybe it is underpowered way too much?? But rock just seems to have little bottom end and no kick. I knew i built the box solid and I had high hopes for this system to sound real good all around. Not just be a one note wonder rap machine. Even with midbass drivers, I am not sure if it will sound very good. Seems to have such a limited range. Maybe I should seal the box?? I am at a loss and just dropped 1k bucks for this sub and box build and another couple hundred for the amp. Even when i turn the filters up on the deck and amp it seems to have little to no effect at all. As far as the placement of the sub it has clearance of about 4 inches on two sides about 7 on one side and about 7 away from the port. IDK what to do I have been trying to tune it for the past week. The only reason I bought this sub was a certain person who works for RE said it was a good mix of SQ and SPL and was amazing. Seems to me my old JL audio w3 12 with 350 watts sounded better than this. What Now?????

CURRENT BUILD UNDER WAY

DC AMPS ON PREORDER

STINGER WIRES IN HAND

MECHMAN 270 ON THE WAY

THE REST IS A SECRET