Sundown Audio

How to properly set gain on amplifier

venturac

This has been a big question of mine lately. I have 2 12" CVX 4 ohm with a PPI PC21400 amp. I have read how to set it with a multimeter, and that's what I did. 1400 watts X 4 ohms and then take the square root of that. It's ~74 volts. I used a 60hz test tone burnt on a CD using Audacity. I have a Pioneer AVH-P3400BH and set the volume to 30/40. I really don't know when the head unit starts to clip. I've never turned it up that far before. I also have a Sony XM-754HX 4 channel running my mids and highs and it doesn't distort. I had to turn the gain to damn near more than 3/4 of the way on my PPI to get 74 volts. I'm not sure if I did this right or not. Seems like it. Even thought the speakers can handle 1500 watts max, I don't want to distort them. I also used the dock connector in my HU to play Pandora and other music on my iPhone. The head unit has a feature that keeps all levels the same so once source isn't louder than another. I also noticed that with a different test tone at the same volume the voltage changes even though it's at the same gain level.

The head unit also has a "loudness" feature. Level 1, 2, or 3. I usually keep this off, but this also changes things. Should I keep this off?

Can anyone give me some feedback on this?

google DSO o-scope, try this one http://www.amazon.com/Seeedstudio-DSO-Nano-oscilloscope-V2/dp/B004DE31U0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333643170&sr=8-1

or simply just search for one, not that hard, see what you come up with and ask people what would be the best choice

build coming late April, early May

build log for 1 LVL 5 18" 87%ish done : http://www.stevemead...ab-dc-lvl-5-18/

1997 Dodge Ram 1500 Slt Laramie

Amplifier - AQ3500d.1

Sub - DC LVL 5 18"

Highs - (2x) Selenium ST-350 Super Tweeters 8ohm

Mids - Selenium 6" 200w midrange 6W4P (pair)

Mids/Highs Amp - MB Quart ONX4.125 1000watt 4 ch

Wiring - XP Flex 25' Red, 25' Black

Alternator - Mechman 270amp

Battery - XS power D3100, 1- Yellow top front

more to come...

it looks like the o-scope is cheaper than the DD-1. I have read that when clipping or distortion occurs the sound waves will look flat. Is this the case?

a heavily clipped one will have flat spots at the peak of the signals. Light distortion will just make the signal look a little fuzzy.

Edited by Lbox88