I was just curious if you guys actually check and filter every one of your songs for clipping? with audacity etc. I checked a few of my songs and noticed that some are fine and others are clipping a fair bit but only on the highs well over 80 hz. Im sort of new to this music/audacity thing. I just want to make sure im not going to harm my equipment with "bad" music. Is there an expected amount in a normal song? or is there a way to fix this or get songs without any? Thanks

Example: my Rack city has no clipping of the bass line but a significant amount in the higher frequencies. its not boosted or slowed.

no. i think alot of guys buy music.

2002 ford focus hatch

pioneer DEH-P8400bh

infinity kappa 6.5 components front and rear

XS Power D1200

Shuriken BT-100

audioque 120.4

2 15 inch audioque HDC3 D2

2 audioque 2200d

big 3

mechman 220a alt with external regulator

479-418-3056

buying music means nothing.

just play songs through WMP Oscope, no need for audacity. Then just watch out for large flat sections from clipped bass. If each time the bass hits the vocals sound like garbage you can expect detrimental clipping when viewed in audacity. Pretty much all music will have some small portion touch or go past 0dB, could just be a tick or snare, or could be the entire bass line like "Swing My Door" by Gucci

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

buying music means nothing.

just play songs through WMP Oscope, no need for audacity. Then just watch out for large flat sections from clipped bass. If each time the bass hits the vocals sound like garbage you can expect detrimental clipping when viewed in audacity. Pretty much all music will have some small portion touch or go past 0dB, could just be a tick or snare, or could be the entire bass line like "Swing My Door" by Gucci

Ok, Thanks. So is cliiping in the highs as harmful as the lows? When I watch the scope in WMP damn that sucker moves fast lol. I'll have to get that Gucci song and play it on the scope to get a feel for it . I heard that one before you can actually hear the shitty bass in that song :P

decaf what the hell do you know? lol :drink40:

2002 ford focus hatch

pioneer DEH-P8400bh

infinity kappa 6.5 components front and rear

XS Power D1200

Shuriken BT-100

audioque 120.4

2 15 inch audioque HDC3 D2

2 audioque 2200d

big 3

mechman 220a alt with external regulator

479-418-3056

You can easily hear distortion/scratchy/hissin/poppin mids/highs because our ears are more sensitive in the range of frequencies, so let your ears try to pick that out. For bass below 80hz is very hard for our ears to pick it up, this is where an oscope helps because you can watch the waveform in real time as the amp would see it and you can identify horizontal flat spots indicating the music was pushed beyond 0dB, which is not desired.

Play any rap song using WMP oscope, go to graphic EQ and boost 31/62hz +9dB so you purposely clip the bass to see what it looks like and how it sounds. It will be easier to see/hear it in the future when you do this.

Edited by Decaf

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

You can easily hear distortion/scratchy/hissin/poppin mids/highs because our ears are more sensitive in the range of frequencies, so let your ears try to pick that out. For bass below 80hz is very hard for our ears to pick it up, this is where an oscope helps because you can watch the waveform in real time as the amp would see it and you can identify horizontal flat spots indicating the music was pushed beyond 0dB, which is not desired.

Play any rap song using WMP oscope, go to graphic EQ and boost 31/62hz +9dB so you purposely clip the bass to see what it looks like and how it sounds. It will be easier to see/hear it in the future when you do this.

Thanks. So if i dont see no straight lines shooting up then the song should be ok to play?

Edited by Amart88

Yeah, flat spots = clipping but remember that equipment clipping is more dangerous than audio clipping, if your settings on your equipment are good just remember to be smart with the volume knob (aka no full tilt) if you know a song has a good amount of clipping in it. Take these two songs for instance, What Up clips on the quick bass hits (like most TX music) but sound perfectly fine, the Cousin Fik on the other hand you can audibly hear the distortion, I play the Slim Thug song but def not the Cousin Fik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDQFwEk86l4

Peep this thread, I have some screen shots of clipped bass from Yelawolf's Radioactive album http://www.stevemead...nd-non-clipped/

Edited by wonderbreadSTS

2015 Mazda 6

JVF Customz 4.0 Proto 15>Wolfram W4500 @ .5ohm

2 Sundown Neo 6.5 + 2 CT Meso Tweeters (Front) x Kicker KS6.5 (Rear)>JL Audio VX400/4i

NSB-AMG35 (front) / 40ah Lithium Headway (Rear) built by Erni Audio & Electrical

Ok here. i got a mixed album that alot of people play. In media player it only seems flat on the highs, and in audacity its the same way. It looks horendous but if I zoom in im not sure what to think.

scc1.jpg

So here is zoomed in. If i put a low pass of 80 hz on it the red lines dissapear. Heres zoomed in

scc2.png

What do you think? I noticed alot of my dubstep and rap songs are clipped to hell off the album but just the highs. The bass usually looks fine when zoomed in . I use the LPF to see just the bass easier. I'm lost on what songs to keep or trash... Also I will be striving to keep my equipment clip free so hopefully there will be no issues on that end. (DD-1) I mean whats the point of setting your gains properly if you can't have it maxed to where you set it clip free? :)

Edited by Amart88

yeah dubstep I play loud but I won't play dubstep for too long due to the highs being so harsh most the time. Are you powering your mids/highs off of an amp or headunit?

Which mixtape is that Hard in the Paint off? I believe I have the one off his Official White Label which is on Datpiff for free, the version off his Flockaveli seems to really be lacking the same bass

Edited by wonderbreadSTS

2015 Mazda 6

JVF Customz 4.0 Proto 15>Wolfram W4500 @ .5ohm

2 Sundown Neo 6.5 + 2 CT Meso Tweeters (Front) x Kicker KS6.5 (Rear)>JL Audio VX400/4i

NSB-AMG35 (front) / 40ah Lithium Headway (Rear) built by Erni Audio & Electrical