Audiopipe APK 5500 guts

theChief

so a few questions TeamHT since you know what your talking about.

my mids and highs in my car sound good enough for me at 32/35 on my head unit.

now, assuming a clip free environment (yes i know theres a good chance of clipping with this example, but for the sake of it, no clipping)

with my head unit subwoofer out at +5 the gain knob is about half way turned up (SK1500). at 32/35 volume, it blends together nicely and is where i mark my "full tilt" at.

NOW..

with my head unit subwoofer out at +15 and the gain knob at about 1/3rd the way turned up. STILL at 32/35 volume, wouldnt this achieve the same results as stated above?

if i just turned my head unit subwoofer out to +15 and kept the gain knob at half turned up, i would be full tilt on my substage at around 15 volume, but not be able to hear mids or highs.

does it matter which route i go?

what im really asking is, does any of those options hurt any of my equipment (still assuming a clip free environment)

Was wondering the same thing.

Thanks N8 and HT for clearing that up.

Also locked in for results.

I had seen several Audio Pipe amps laying around pawn shops and always wondered if they were any good.

Though THIS is obviously not theyre cheap line....

On a side note, nice drum kit Chief, what set you got there?

Also locked in for results.

I had seen several Audio Pipe amps laying around pawn shops and always wondered if they were any good.

Though THIS is obviously not theyre cheap line....

On a side note, nice drum kit Chief, what set you got there?

this is like audiopipes's only good line ever. their AP line is terrible and i would stray away from it.

NICE! I had a Pearl Forum but sold it about a year ago. Miss it like crazy. Is it a hobby or do you play regularly?

Been playing almost daily for the past 11 or so years. So a devoted hobby i suppose.

alright, to report back on my retuning of my head unit and amp by ear.

i tried +11 at 32/35 and you could clearly hear the subs playing a square sine instead of the normal rolling hills one. (its that obvious to me)

about 30 seconds in could smell coil. so that ended that test

tried +9 (one step down from +11) at 32/35 on the same song, and coil took about 1:30 to get to smelling.

then +7 (one step down from +9) at 32/35 on the same song, this setting lasted the whole song at full tilt.

i attempted to replay the song, but about a minute in i smelt coil.

then +5 (one step down from +7) at 32/35 on the same song, this allowed me to play the song 3 times without the subs getting hot, and is where i ended this test.

so my personal conclusions (and remember, this is set by ear, but its pretty obvious when your system sounds like SHIT you need to dial it back)

+7 can be for demoing a few times.

+5 is daily full tilt.

also, on a side note, apparently the bass control (on the head unit) controls something on my subwoofers, and my door speakers

this setting is at -4.

but brings me to another question, which is.. WHY IN THE FUCK does the bass control, control my subs when they are hooked up through the RCA sub out channel.

this also messes with my testing, so i'll have to re test after someone explains this bass control to me.

09 Civic EX

KDC-X395

(2) SKAR Audio VVX-12

Skar Audio SK-1500.1

4 cu ft @32 (new box and more port soon)

Firing Forward not sealed off

Stock 80 Amp Alt

Big 3 In 1/0 Knu

2 Runs To The Back 1 Pos 1 Neg In 1/0 Knu

DD-1'd 13.8v drop

I have a pioneer deh-5100 and I have my sub at 0 because I'm too lazy to adjust my gain. :peepwall: After reading through this thread I'll fix it.

2002 Ford Explorer XLT

Front Stage: Crescendo CCX 6.5's

Rear Stage: ???

Two 15" Powerbass M154

Audiopipe AP15001d

Pioneer DEH-P5100UB

Archived