Mechman Alternators

squeeling belt and dimming lights

Did you replace the belt when you installed the new unit?

We always recommend a new belt with a high output alternator. They need about 2x the HP to operate over your stock unit and it's all transmitted through the belt.

You will not be able to see the belt slipping, but you will see evidence of slip by the black residue on the front of the alternator.

When the belt slips the alternator can slow below the turn-on speed. This will cause it to not charge, causing your warning lights and dimming issues.

I recommend replacing the belt with new replacement properly sized and tensioned for your alternator.

Summed up everything into one post ftw

Rest In Peace mother.

January 22, 1955 - February 14, 2013

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/user/35351-megrch/

We always recommend a new belt with a high output alternator. They need about 2x the HP to operate over your stock unit and it's all transmitted through the belt.

You will not be able to see the belt slipping, but you will see evidence of slip by the black residue on the front of the alternator.

When the belt slips the alternator can slow below the turn-on speed. This will cause it to not charge, causing your warning lights and dimming issues.

I recommend replacing the belt with new replacement properly sized and tensioned for your alternator.

They guys at mechman know their shit. That's why i bought my alternator from them and they are gonna continue to get my business for wire and batteries now

1349713160_rte.png

I'm on my phone and I can tell that the new alt has a much smaller pulley

So what does that mean in terms of the belt?

obviously means that the belt will have to be pulled tighter.

but since a mechman worker already posted in here, your questions are already answered

They guys at mechman know their shit. That's why i bought my alternator from them and they are gonna continue to get my business for wire and batteries now

And we appreciate your business! Remember that if you don't get a fast response on the forums that you can call or email, someone is always available on the phone during office hours and I check my emails hourly (or more).

I have seen this tool, but never used one in all of my years working on cars. Any good tech will know how tight it needs to be by pushing on the belt.

Possibly have a shop check the belt tension to insure that it is in fact properly tensioned.