Mechman Alternators

squeeling belt and dimming lights

Ok so i have installed my new 220 amp mechman alt on my 01 eclipse. I had a few problems. The belt squeels on start and when the alt is under a big load. I think this is just from by belt being too tight but I am open to hear other suggestions. Now the bigger problem for me is that when i hammer down on the gas and the rpms are around 4500 or 5000 the lights dim in the interior and the battery and e brake light comes on... any ideas on that?

1349713160_rte.png

Not enough belt wrap?

The other issue seems like the alternator is not able to produce anything and it messes with the computer. When my battery went bad my A/C light was coming on and flashing.

Edited by Rebel4055

Rest In Peace mother.

January 22, 1955 - February 14, 2013

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/user/35351-megrch/

pics please

JEEP BUILD PROJECT ANTIBLING.2000 jeep Cherokee.HEADUNITAlpine Cda-9886SUBSTAGE1 acendent 18" audio mayhem motor with a TI basket and tantric parts1 prototype DAT hellfire 1000.1HIGHSStockELECTRICALdb link 0 gaugeKnuconceptz Kolossus 4 gauge1 xs power d3400 under hoodBig 3 upgradeold fourwheeler build

The only way to delete your SMD account is for you crawl to steve meades door step on your knees and pleade for his forgiveness and acceptance to be released...He will either grant your wishes.....or choke you with a large piece of 0 gauge and electrocute you by hooking up a solid gold DC 12k at 0.000001 ohm and 10000 volts to your eye sockets and blow your head apart

You guys act like you have never clogged a toilet and ran around the bathroom frantically hoping it don't overflow.

The belt has a full 180 wrap on the alternator. it isn't slipping at all. I had my friend stand and watch the belt while i revved the engine and it didn't slip even at redline and i read somewhere that if the belt is too tight that it will cause the idle pulley to squeel

1349713160_rte.png

Try the water trick to see what is causing it to squeal. Spray just water on the flat side of your belt, if the squealing goes away then you have a tension problem and i suggest replacing the tensioner and belt and cleaning up all the pulleys with brake parts cleaner to make them oil free. Now if you spray the water on the ribbed side of the belt and the squealing goes away then you have a problem with the alignment of your pulleys and need to find which one is off center and correct it. The ribbed pulleys should all line up perfectly with the crankshaft pulley at the bottom of your engine.

Belt wrap is an issue where you dont have enough surface area of the belt coming into contact with the pulley that has a strong demand (alternator, power steering pump, etc). Normally most pulleys have at least 1/2 of the pulley covered by the belt, if you dont have this then you should look into getting a pulley to put next to the alt to get the extra grip on the alt. Also belt slip on an alt heats up the pulley which in turn heats up your alt really fast and can burn it out so get it corrected as soon as you can.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Try the water trick to see what is causing it to squeal. Spray just water on the flat side of your belt, if the squealing goes away then you have a tension problem and i suggest replacing the tensioner and belt and cleaning up all the pulleys with brake parts cleaner to make them oil free. Now if you spray the water on the ribbed side of the belt and the squealing goes away then you have a problem with the alignment of your pulleys and need to find which one is off center and correct it. The ribbed pulleys should all line up perfectly with the crankshaft pulley at the bottom of your engine.

Belt wrap is an issue where you dont have enough surface area of the belt coming into contact with the pulley that has a strong demand (alternator, power steering pump, etc). Normally most pulleys have at least 1/2 of the pulley covered by the belt, if you dont have this then you should look into getting a pulley to put next to the alt to get the extra grip on the alt. Also belt slip on an alt heats up the pulley which in turn heats up your alt really fast and can burn it out so get it corrected as soon as you can.

So possibly not all the pulleys being lined up will make a squeeling too?

1349713160_rte.png